Rockshaft lift lever wont stay put

/ Rockshaft lift lever wont stay put #1  

jdgreg

Gold Member
Recently acquired an '01 4210, and the rockshaft lift lever wont stay locked into the full up position. Looks like the plastic lip that is supposed to lock it, is slightly worn down. Anyone come up with a good fix for this? Looks like I could put in a small metal tab underneath the plastic shroud to accomplish the same thing, but would require drilling a hole through the plastic shroud to secure the metal tab.

Thanks

/ Rockshaft lift lever wont stay put #2  
That rockshaft lever should stay anywhere you put it. If you take a look at the pivot point, at least on my rig, you will see a nut that will tighten two cupped washers that put tension on the lever. Mine had the same problem, had to take the fender off to get to the rockshaft. Be sure that when you adjust it you start the engine and when it is all the way up the hydraulics are not growling by the bypass. If it is not adjusted right the hyd will still be trying to lift when it is at the stops. Just adjusting the friction should not affect though.

/ Rockshaft lift lever wont stay put #3  
Thanks for the info, I was very curious about the fact the lever would slide down to the minum setting on it's own, unless it was locked. I'll have to try to adjust it this week.

/ Rockshaft lift lever wont stay put #4  
Here's a couple of pics of a plate I made, it has a detent to ensure the lever stays at the full up position. Made it out of some scrap metal I had laying around. The hole is elongated for fine-tuning, to make sure the lever position is the same as original.

rockhitch1.jpg

Here's a pic with it installed, I slid it between the plastic housing and the support bracket, the bolt on the left secures it.
rockhitch2.jpg

/ Rockshaft lift lever wont stay put
rdbrumfield, I looked at the lever last night, but couldnt see anything that looked like it could adjust. The lever is machined onto the end of a shaft, that appears to be bolted on via a tab to another shaft that goes directly into the tranny housing.

/ Rockshaft lift lever wont stay put #6  
mine is a 5300. What a shame they cut corners with some of the equipment they are putting out nowdays. Before I realized that I could adjust mine I had a cord with an eye that I dropped over it. I guess we can get by if we don't have to keep one hand on it while trying to run an emplement. I have noticed a lot of things that JD should step up to the plate and do it right, we sure pay for it.

/ Rockshaft lift lever wont stay put
Agreed. Maybe it isnt adjustable on the 4210 ????