Block heater or not?

/ Block heater or not? #1  

jdgreg

Gold Member
Been reading a lot here (searching) on eng/tran heaters, (lighter weight syn oil, fuel additives, etc) want to get my 4210 ready for winter time. I would be interested in hearing from others in the Va area to know if they run heaters or not, and what type. I know it should start fine without one, but it cant be real good on the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've used the dipstick kind on my old Ford, and religiously plug in my GMC Duramax with a timer when it gets down below freezing.

/ Block heater or not? #2  
Do it, but, IMO, only if it makes YOU feel better. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I don't have one and don't think my tractor suffers a bit from not having been pre-warmed.

Feeling good about it is part of the fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Block heater or not? #3  
beenthere,

Is it safe to assume a block heater is used mostly for a tractor that sits in a unconditioned (ie non-heated) enclosure? For example the tractor will be cold-soaked at the ambient temperature.

My tractor sits in an insulated garage that is attached to my house so the garage does stay 'warm' due to the heated living spaces that surround it. It probably stays above freezing on the coldest of days.

Brian

/ Block heater or not? #4  
I've got the transmission heater (eHydro) on the tractor and the block heater on the shelf (not installed yet). The first year I had the tractor I had no heaters and when first running on cold mornings the tractor operated sluggishly with lots of "noise"; it ran, but not as good as it would after warming up for 20 minutes. This is with running HyGard LowVis since Day 1. The second year it did have the the transmission heater and what a difference! Now it runs like it was a fall day, better response and no "noise".
Both of the heaters are the John Deere heaters and I picked them up for cheap insurance.

/ Block heater or not? #5  
I put the block heater in mine and maybe coulda done the hydro unit also. My tractor is inside and warm all winter, but I wanted to be able to plug in if I left it out.

Now my preference is to use an oil pan type heater. This heats the oil so you have good lubrication at startup. Not quite as effective at upper end (combustion) heating, but the oil in the pan will be dead cold with a block heater.

I use this on my Duramax if it sits out:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/proheatpadinstall.html

/ Block heater or not? #6  
If you're starting engines at really cold conditions, nothing beats a 0wxx grade of oil. This is only available in a synthetic; I think.

Saw some videos of an engine being started at -40 C/F in a cold room with a transparent valve cover. The only oil that didn't cause significant valve train smoking after start-up was a 0wxx grade. Oil pumps just can't start pumping a heavier oil at cold startup.

Ralph

/ Block heater or not? #7  
I'm in the same area as you and have a JD855. I have had some hard winter starts that took some cranking and can't be good on the starter. I installed the factory block heater. What a difference. It doesn't take long either. One hour makes a huge difference. I'm confident that I can start in any temperature. I didn't have that confidence before. The heater was one of the better tractor things I've bought and definitely cheaper than a starter.

/ Block heater or not?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm in the same area as you and have a JD855. I have had some hard winter starts that took some cranking and can't be good on the starter. I installed the factory block heater. What a difference. It doesn't take long either. One hour makes a huge difference. I'm confident that I can start in any temperature. I didn't have that confidence before. The heater was one of the better tractor things I've bought and definitely cheaper than a starter. )</font>

Thanks, I'll stop by Trible and pick one up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Block heater or not? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've used the dipstick kind on my old Ford, and religiously plug in my GMC Duramax with a timer when it gets down below freezing. )</font>

Below freezing. Is that considered cold in Virginia? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom

/ Block heater or not?
Considering I'm a native Texan, that's freakin cold!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif