Creeper gear conversion kit

/ Creeper gear conversion kit #1  

jd5400

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience in the installation of a creeper gear conversion kit in a JD5400 or similar? It seems straight forward in the tech manual, but I don't want any surprises if I can avoid them.
Thanks much.

/ Creeper gear conversion kit #2  
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience in the installation of a creeper gear conversion kit in a JD5400 or similar? It seems straight forward in the tech manual, but I don't want any surprises if I can avoid them.
Thanks much.

Old Old Thread I Know.
Maybe in 19yrs someone could answer this poor fellar & my question :D

/ Creeper gear conversion kit #3  
Sounds like something I'd like to do to my Yamaha Rhino.......

/ Creeper gear conversion kit #4  
I don't know about JD but with the Kubota "creeper kit" there are limitations.

Creep speed should be used only when doing one of the following jobs:
- deep rotary-tilling and harrowing
- planting
- turf application

Creep speed can not be used for any of the following:
- pulling a trailer
- front-loader operation
- front-blade operation
- earth moving
- entering and leaving a field
- loading onto and unloading from a truck

/ Creeper gear conversion kit #5  
If only they had a transmission that went slow..

/ Creeper gear conversion kit #6  
I agree those stinking automatic hydro transmissions are terrible not to mention the lack of traction that they have, seem so there was a scientific video somewhere describing that same problem but dont think it was 19 years ago.............

/ Creeper gear conversion kit #7  
I agree those stinking automatic hydro transmissions are terrible not to mention the lack of traction that they have, seem so there was a scientific video somewhere describing that same problem but dont think it was 19 years ago.............

Higher percent of power delivered to the wheels yes. More traction absolutely not. My L3800 that’s a pretty similar class tractor as yours will usually spin out in medium range with a loader, loaded tires and BB. You’ll never load it to where it won’t spin out in low. Same story with my much heavier M59. How exactly is your geared tractor going to deliver better traction? That’s kinda an oxymoron. If you chain 2 identical tractors other than the transmission to a stump and they’re both sitting there spinning how is one doing more work than the other one? If you said R1s offer better traction I’d believe you. If you said the geared trans could pull a wagon up a hill faster I’d believe you. If you said the gear trans has better traction you’re flat out wrong. Honestly I’d say the opposite is true. If we’re both pulling a load thats barley moving I can perfectly match the wheel speed to the load. Maybe a nicer gear trans with a bunch of gears could do the same but your Kubota can’t. You’ve got little choice but to let the clutch out and spin. Which we can both agree just digs ruts and mud slicks the tires neither of which benefits traction.

Last edited: