JD 4630

/ JD 4630 #1  

icandoit

Tractor
1978 JD4630
I have a 1978 JD 4630. My problem is when I go to start ol John, I get nothing but chattering from the starter. I charged up the battery, so I know this isn't the problem because after I charged, I checked to see if it was holding a charge and it was. Could this be a starter or solenoid problem? Can I rebuild this starter? My buddy said that the solenoid was a chevy solenoid and I didn't think to ask whether you could put a chevy solenoid on this unit. ??????
Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dick

/ JD 4630 #2  
Check ground wires. Even if you have a fully charged battery. If connection are not good you will get the clicks. Have you cleaned the battery terminal. Just because they look clean. There may be corrosion on post.

/ JD 4630
Thanks ronjhall. I expected a little more of a response to the question, but I will try your suggestion. I have 2 batteries on Ol John and will cleanup all terminals. I appreciate your kindness. I thought this would be a good question for this forum since I think theres some people that have a lot of experience with this kind of situation. Is this a clique forum or a place where you can get some answers to some questions?
Thanks again ronjhall.

Dick

/ JD 4630 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this a clique forum or a place where you can get some answers to some questions? )</font>

Not at all, sometimes the people in the know are just not online all the time. It takes a couple days sometimes to get a full array of answers.

Usually, if the solenoid is clicking, it is either bad batteries or connections, and not just at the battery's. You need to check them at the starter and the solenoid also. Or it could be the starter has a dead spot in it, try tapping the starter with a hammer.

And yes, the starter can be rebuilt, you can take it to any starter/alternator shop for this service.

/ JD 4630 #5  
"Is this a clique forum or a place where you can get some answers to some questions?"

Not at all!
I, in my humble opinion, doubt think too many members are that technically proficient...including me.

If the TBNer has had or been involved in a given problem, they can at least offer a a modicum of knowledge or an anecdote of their experience.

Bottom line..most of us are great with opinions or guesses, but few of us are mechanics...

/ JD 4630 #6  
The 4630 could have had a Delco starter which is manufactured by general motors. It also could have a john deere starter which was actually manufactured by nippondenso. Both starters are definitely rebuildable and yes you can probably find a solenoid for the delco at a GM dealer or auto parts store. But I agree with the others that it sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. One area alot of people overlook is the cables themselves. If there are any repair ends at the battery posts, I would remove the repair end and clean the copper wire and the repair end to make good contact. Better yet, I would recommend replacing any cable with a repair end on it. These big diesels require alot of amps to crank and these repair ends lose too much voltage when they get corroded. If you get new cables, be sure to get heavy gauge wire. the originals are 00 gauge. Another item you dont want to overlook is the starter relay. It is located on the firewall under the hood, about 18 inches above the starter. One last thing, if you do need to remove the starter, the top bolt closest to the block is a real pain if you don't have a special wrench from John Deere, almost impossible. The dealer should be able to get you one, or if you know them well enough, maybe they would loan you one. Good luck!

/ JD 4630 #7  
normally on a gm style solenoid that chatters when you try to engage it, it's from not enough voltage to hold it in. try a set of jumper cables and see if it will jumpstart. if it does, buy a new battery, if it doesn't, replace any suspect cable. if you have a voltmeter, check it at the starter during cranking. should hold about 8 or more during starter engagement..

/ JD 4630 #8  
A common problem is the cable running under the operator's station that connects the two batteries together. It corrodes over time and creates too much resistance. It can be a little difficult to change, esp with the soundgard cab. My dad had a 4230 and we found that cleaning all 4 battery terminals and clamps each spring was almost a necessity to start the tractor.
Good luck!