Tires Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #1  

BFPGW

Tractor
JD 790 '04
My dealer set up my 2004 790 with fluid in the rear tires as I requested. The fluid they used is not calcium chloride, but a washer type fluid.

My question is how do you check the pressure now? I depressed the tire valve stem core and got a little fluid spraying out. It looks like the tires may be a bit too hard so I need to check the pressure to start my adjustments. My fear is this, or any, fluid may harm my nice tire guage.

Anyone have information on this? I suspect the tires may be too full of that fluid if it comes out the valve stem even when on level ground and the valve is at TDC.

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #2  
Drop off any implements you have rigged to the 3PH.
If possible, park the tractor on a level concrete or similar surface.
Position a floor jack under the draw bar bracket and lift the rear of the tractor just high enough for the tires to clear the surface. The tires should be able to rotate easily.
Rotate one tire so the valve stem is at the 12:00 O'Clock position.
Using an air-liquid pressure gage (available at your dealer or NAPA), check the pressure. Unlike the air type gages, you'll have to hold the gage against the valve as the gage is spring loaded to force the liquid back out when you remove the gage from the stem.
Adjust the pressure if required.

Repeat the process on the other tire.

I also have a 790... Great tractor!

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires
Thanks Roy. I assumed it may have been overfilled, but the stem is in a large ridge in the center of the rim. It would pool fluid unless the tire was less than about 75% filled.

Since you have a 790 too, what pressure do you recommend? I use a RM60 mower, Frontier box blade, and a neighbor's disc on occasion. The most weight I carry on the back would be about 600lbs.

We are on pretty hard MO clay but it gets greasy feeling when wet. I use weights on the front guard (FEL Brkt) with about 20psi in the fronts unless really lifting a lot of rock in the FEL.

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #4  
15 PSI

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #5  
Roy, I also had wondered about the same issue, did not know about the air-liquid gage. I'll pick one up.

Your answer leads to another question as I have a standard tire fill/gage on the end of my compressor line. I was concerned about the consequences of using it to add air to my filled tires (fluid back flow into the gage and compressor line). Is there also a special air-fluid attachment for the end of the compressor line?
Thanks

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #6  
It's not usually an issue if , when the valve stem is on top, you pop the valve core and shoot the water out first. Doesn't take much just a quick shot. All the tractors on the farm have fluid (calcium) in the rears, and we never have used a water guage. Yes, we replace our guage every 3 or 4 years but we also have well over 100 tires to maintain. And usually the guage gets stepped on or otherwise broken before it succumbs to calcium build up.

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Your answer leads to another question as I have a standard tire fill/gage on the end of my compressor line. I was concerned about the consequences of using it to add air to my filled tires (fluid back flow into the gage and compressor line). )</font> Rear tire is 20 psi and air compressor is 120 psi I don't think 20 psi can't push 120 psi.

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #8  
Your answer leads to another question as I have a standard tire fill/gage on the end of my compressor line. I was concerned about the consequences of using it to add air to my filled tires (fluid back flow into the gage and compressor line).
Rear tire is 20 psi and air compressor is 120 psi I don't think 20 psi can't push 120 psi.

If I'm reading Woody's post correctly, he has one of those inline pressure gages on the end of his air line...the type one depresses a lever to fill, then releases the lever to read the pressure. I believe his concern would be when he releases pressure to read the pressure.
I see his concern. That fluid may damage that type of pressure gage.

So, suggest just using an air chuck and a standard air-liquid gage for checking his tire pressures.

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #9  
Roy, you correctly read my concern. I'll do away with the inline gage when adding air to the filled tires. Thanks.

/ Check Tire Pressure with Liquid Filled Tires #10  
I appreciate the information! I ran across TractorByNet quite by accident; I will be back!