Winter storage

/ Winter storage #1  

sros990

Tractor
JD 990
I won’t be using my tractor this winter and would like to know what I precautions I need to take before storing it. Do I need to empty the fuel tank or keep it full and add a stabilizer (what kind)? Do I need to remove the battery? Anything else I need to do?

Thanks,

Steve

/ Winter storage #2  
I'd fill the tank and add some Power Service additive.

You don't need to remove the battery if you can connect a charger to it. What I did when we moved to Singapore for the first time for 9 months was to remove the battery from my Benz diesel, took it to the basement and connected a trickle charger through to 110v through 2 of those simple 24 hour timers in series. Think I had each timer running approximately the minimum time; think this is roughly 1-2 hours.

When we returned, I put the battery back into the car, got in, pulled out the glow lever (one of those old fashioned ones) for 30 seconds or so, turned the key to start. It started immediately.

Back in those days, I'd never heard of diesel fuel addition. Just left it with a reasonably full tank in the garage. Never did use any additive in that old 1973. Have had to use Chevron Red Line twice in my 1983, to eliminate diesel ping at constant speed.

Ralph

/ Winter storage #3  
hey steve...what i usually do that has worked well for me is i drain the fuel except for about 2 gallons. I crank the tractor once a week and let it run at high idle for about 20 minutes. This keeps everything lubricated and keeps fuel from getting stagnant. If you are not able to do this, drain the fuel and keep your battery on a trickle charger. If it will only be for a couple months, just add a fuel stabilizer and keep your tractor on a trickle charger. By the way, is your tractor stored outside or in the garage?

/ Winter storage #4  
My 5525 manual had a full procedure - it was pretty slick. My 4720 did not have a storage section in the manual. Check out the 5525 manual online.

D.

/ Winter storage #5  
"Do I need to empty the fuel tank or keep it full and add a stabilizer (what kind)? Do I need to remove the battery? Anything else I need to do?"

I do use my tractor (990's little brother, the 790) during the winter...

However, this is what I do:
Fuel Tank is kept full...haven't used a stabilizer yet, but this tractor is kept in a heated garage. I would use an anti-gell and stabilizer if it was outside or in an unheated building.

Leave the transmission in neutral...not a bad idea to leave the range selector in neutral as well.

Block the clutch pedal in fully disengaged position. If your 990 has the same set up my 790 has, there is a stop (for the clutch pedal) welded to the floor. I clamp the pedal to that stop.

As far as the battery, I'd rig a trickle charger to it.

/ Winter storage #6  
You can drop it by BigPete's Winter Tractor Spa anytime after Halloween. I will make sure that battery gets a full charge every day, and a fresh tank of fuel burned through it at least once a week. Consider it a winter vacation for your loved one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif