JD Lawn Tractors

/ JD Lawn Tractors #1  

mffarmall

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425, MF 50, JD B, Farmall Super MTA
Does anyone have a JD lawn machine. I was looking at them and went with an MTD because of the price. I have had great success. Plus the body is metal. I only miss haveing a cup holder. I put a tin can on my MTD. I was just wondering if in Lawn machines if your just paying for the name in JDs? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ JD Lawn Tractors #2  
Depends on what model of JD. MTD, Craftsman, Yard Machine, JD L-series are pretty much the bottom of the barrel as far as quality and durability. The JD LT and bigger series tractors are much better and yes, more expensive. But you do get what you pay for ... a high quality tractor will last a couple decades instead of a couple years.

/ JD Lawn Tractors #3  
Deere X485 All wheel steer
You will pay for the quality, whether that goes with the name, I suspect it might. More quality, costs more money.

Dealer to work with is most important. You can look at used prices for 2-5 year old lawn tractors and make a pretty good call as to what 'quality' is in a product. It something is worn out in 2-3 years, no one wants it.

Good luck on your decision.
(but you deserve green /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, IMO)

/ JD Lawn Tractors #4  
Some of the price premium is the name (which also affects resale value). Some of it is better quality. Some of it is better maintenance and parts support. Some of it is better design and selection of materials. Some of it is better ergonomics and features (cup holder?). But you don't need all of that to mow the lawn or move snow.

Jeff

/ JD Lawn Tractors #5  
JD 325 owner for 5 years

I have been well pleased with my investment. I have over 350 hours on it and no problems. I had a Craftsman for 3 years and it was worn out. There is a quality difference. My JD just had more of a firmer, tractor feel. Heavier frame, higher quality all the way around. Easier maintenance, in my opinion. I agree that it comes down deciding if you want to replace regularly and have a new mower or keep the same JD for a long time. Sure, you probably pay for the name, but did you get a free hat from MTD that you can proudly show off to the neighbors? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD Lawn Tractors #6  
I still have my 1975 JD 212 and it's as solid today as it was when it was new 30 years ago. Sure, the mower deck as been welded a couple of times, and the seat has been replaced, but I see no reason why it shouldn't still be working in 2035.

Somehow I doubt that I'll get that kind of longevity out of my 2210 or any of the current crop of JDs. I believe JD remains the cream-of-the-crop, but 30 years?

Incidently, my 212 is for sale with a "46 MMM and front blade. $500 should do it. I have a blurb in the classifieds.

/ JD Lawn Tractors #7  
I have a model year 2000 John Deere LT155 with the Freedom 42 mulching deck for my 1.5 acres. In the nearly 6 years and over 400 hours, I have not had a lick of trouble. My neighbors have not had this kind of experience with their lower-end brand machines and have more than once borrowed mine when theirs were being repaired.

I paid nearly double the price of a low end machine with similar horsepower, but after 6 years of fairly heavy use, I can still get more back on a trade than many basic tractors cost new. The best thing is, for 6 years, I actually had a tractor that is quiet running, comfortable, simple to use, and fun to drive. Not to mention the cutting job done by the Freedom deck gets a constant stream of compliments from neighbors and guests.

As far as the body goes, the hood is dent resistant, rust resistant plastic but, with the tractor weighing nearly 600 lbs, there is a lot of steel and cast iron there too, where it counts, on the frame and in the axles.

Is it worth it? I totally believe it is. But that is all a matter of individual personal preferences and values. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ JD Lawn Tractors #8  
<font color="blue"> ( I paid nearly double the price of a low end machine with similar horsepower ) </font>

... and you will get much more than double the longevity out of it as well. Too many people are looking at the prices of tractors the wrong way.

Instead of thinking: "Why do those better tractors cost so much more than this <insert low-end brand/model>?"

They should be saying: "This <insert low-end brand/model> must be very cheaply made to be sold at such a ridiculously low price."

/ JD Lawn Tractors #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> ( I paid nearly double the price of a low end machine with similar horsepower ) </font>

... and you will get much more than double the longevity out of it as well.

Too many people are looking at the prices of tractors the wrong way. )</font>

gatorboy,

That is exactly what I told my wife when I bought my X595. I said to her there is only one thing that will outlast this tractor and that is my love for her! I took delivery of the tractor within a few days...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD Lawn Tractors #10  
Mffarmall,

I'm on my 4th John Deere in the past 20 years, 1st was a 170 with a manual trany, traded up to a 175 with a hydro after the first year. Got 95% trade in value. Kept the 175 for 15 years and traded up to a 278 (I think that is the right model) man that was a sweat tractor, and now have a 2210. I got better than 75% of what I paid for the 175 after 15 years. I keep my equipment in tip top shape, it's what I do!. My neighbor had one of the big box tractors, 18 hp and had more little problems than I have time to type.

The end result is you get what you pay for. Pay me now or pay me later. I spent 2-3 times what my neighbor did, never put a nickel in any of my 4 JD's.

Just my 2 cents
Malvern /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif