repairing (sealing) a small leak on hydraulic line

/ repairing (sealing) a small leak on hydraulic line #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
I seem to have a small leak on my hydraulic pressure line just at the point where it attaches to the pump. I thought it was a leak of the O-ring, but I replaced that to no avail. It seems like the leak is just where the small pressure line (1/4" or so ID ) meets the larger portion that attaches to the pump. What material is this line made of? Could it be soldered, brazed, or welded? It's a small leak, perhaps 5 droplets per minute, but it still annoys me.

/ repairing (sealing) a small leak on hydraulic line #2  
COtrout, here's a link to a related thread (no pun intended): hydraulic leak thread. If I'm understanding you correctly, I have had a similar problem (after the one I described in the attached thread). I ended up unscrewing the two lines and using liquid Teflon to reseal. I cleaned the threads first, applied the sealant, let it dry for an hour or two, then screwed them back together. Many here cautioned me about using teflon tape, so I didn't. I didn't apply the sealant along the entire length of the threads just to be safe so I wouldn't get any sealant in the line. If you use the search feature, you will find more threads on this topic. Good luck!

/ repairing (sealing) a small leak on hydraulic line #3  
I assume you are refering to your 4100 that you have posted about in the past. The hydraulic lines are steel and can be welded or brazed successfully. I have seen some repeat failures at the area you are talking about though. Be sure any clamps that are supposed to secure the lines are in place to prevent vibration. Also be careful to keep any debris from entering the line while brazing or welding. any slag can cause damage to hydraulic components. Also be sure to remove the line and drain the oil out of it before repair is attempted.

/ repairing (sealing) a small leak on hydraulic line
RE 4100, that is correct. It's a solid line, not threaded. I cannot see the leak, but I'm pretty sure it's not the o-ring. If I could just lay a "wrapper" of solder or something around it, it seems it might work.

/ repairing (sealing) a small leak on hydraulic line #5  
Why not just replace the line?

Egon

pressure line, $215 and wraps up over the tranny.. hard to say what all would have to be removed to snake it around into place.. looking for a $10 repair if possible

/ repairing (sealing) a small leak on hydraulic line #7  
Is it possible to reroute the line or replace it with a flexible braided steel pressure hoze?

Egon

That's a great 'think outside the box' suggestion... something I can think over. It attaches to the hdyro pump.. which is the trick. That connection, though, is pretty unique, there's not a hose type connection.