Soot covered engine

/ Soot covered engine #1  

design

Silver Member
Tractor
M5400
I was looking at a 755 this weekend, and the entire engine and all of the shrouds on the inside are covered in black soot. The engine exhaust piping appears to have been broken for some time and the exhaust vented out around the engine shrouds not out the muffler/tailpipe.

Any other suggestions on why an engine would have black soot on all surfaces.

If the exhaust system was corrected, would there be any long term issues from improperly exhausting the engine?

The engine also shows some leakage of oil above the exhaust manifold, down to the MMM. Could these be related?

Thank you
Design

Attachments

• 755510-john deere 755 010-very-small.jpg
    755510-john deere 755 010-very-small.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 390
   / Soot covered engine #2  
From your picture, I don't 'see' anything unusual.

From your description, nothing too alarming, but that doesn't mean I really understand what you are 'describing'. My suggestion would be to have a mechanic look at it and decide if the 'exhaust' could cause the problem or if there are other ailments that need repair (likely yes).
When running the engine and tractor, does it have the power you expect, do the mechanicals work as you would expect, or is this a cosmetic problem only. The mechanic can give you that appraisal, I'd think.
I'm surprised the seller doesn't have the engine cleaned up a bit, but then again, it gives you information that you can use to evaluate the condition (and looks like this may keep the price down in your favor).
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .... would there be any long term issues from improperly exhausting the engine? )</font>
I would not think so.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The engine also shows some leakage of oil above the exhaust manifold, down to the MMM. Could these be related? )</font>
Could be an oil line loose, or just a sloppy method of putting oil into the filler tube.

/ Soot covered engine #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The engine exhaust piping appears to have been broken for some time and the exhaust vented out around the engine shrouds not out the muffler/tailpipe. )</font> I think you may have answered your own question. The black soot could be the same soot that comes out of exhaust pipe and gets on the loader arms of most tractors. If the exhaust was broken it could have blown all over the engine.