Snow Front mounted blade for snow

/ Front mounted blade for snow #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters,

I have a simple-minded question for the group. This is a class crosser, so forgive me if the forum is not exact. I have a 4520 tractor with the 400x loader. Last year I bought a 3720 which I sold to buy my current machine. I bought a 72" boom blade to mount on the front loader of the original machine for grading and primarily snow removal. I still have it. I have never used it for grading, so it sits waiting on the snow. The past two years I have lived here, there have been only three-four snows per year, and a maximum of 6" at once. The locals promise that this is unusual for this area and a more snowy winter is sure to come. I live on a one mile paved road which I plow for our neighborhood. It is about 14' wide and some of it is on 15%+ degree slopes. I also plow all my closest neighbors' driveways (five) so they can get out. I will occasionally plow some for the neighborhood, so my winter plow volume is fairly high. My dealer just gave me a sweet deal on an HPX Gator, so my question is: should I buy a blade for the Gator and try to sell my existing blade, which takes up a lot of space, or should I forget the Gator blade, and get the new mounting shoes and third SCV, and angling lever for my existing machine, since it would need those upgrades to use my current blade? My concerns are: my tractor would move snow great, but could be pretty sketchy on some of the steeper hills, and is wider than the blade when it is angled. The Gator blade is the same width, but does not seem so heavy duty, so I wonder if it can deal with the volume well and if the Gator has the weight to move snow on steep hills and on steeper drives. I do not want to be wasteful, so whichever I do will be my choice; the Gator, I will sell my current blade setup; the tractor, I will not bother to purchase any blade for the Gator. Thanks for the insight.

John M

/ Front mounted blade for snow #2  
I may not be reading this right, but appears the blade you have isn't Deere. Otherwise, I would think it being unused, it would have gone back with the trade-up on the 4520 or the Gator.
In either case, I would go for the blade on the Gator if just thinking of it for snow. The 6x4 handles the snow plow pretty well from what I've seen. Not the most heavy duty, but it will whistle right along and for your kind of snows, will make some pleasure plowing it, I'd think. Especially a 4-6" snow over the distance you are plowing. Sounds like fun to me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
But a tough decision to make for someone else. Hope you make a good one (decision) for you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Front mounted blade for snow #3  
"and is wider than the blade when it is angled."

I would get rid of the current blade for the tractor for the above reason. Then decide to go with a new blade for the tractor or one for the gator. I have no experience with the gator but I plow snow with a Polaris Explorer 500 and it has been fast and efficient at removing most snowfalls. I would think the gator would be even better. The only time the Polaris did not do well was last winter when we had 26" of snow. My drive is about 500' long and with a normal snowfall (less than a foot) it takes me about 30 minutes to clear it with the Polaris.

/ Front mounted blade for snow #4  
I would be interested in the blade for the right deal (Blade for the 3X20). I have the 300X loader and the part number from JD website is BW15326 for the 72" blade for the 300X. Is this the blade?

/ Front mounted blade for snow #5  
Check your PM - I will take the blade.

/ Front mounted blade for snow #6  
13237plow1.jpg

13237plow2.jpg

For those interested here is what the JD Snow Plow looks like that John sold me. It is very awesome and was worth the drive and $$ to go get it. For me this was an awesome thread! John is a great TBN member!