Oil change question - X series

/ Oil change question - X series #1  

danbike

Silver Member
I have an X series garden tractor with the Kawasaki motor. The owner's manual says to change the oil at 50 hours. The dealer is telling me to change it at 5 hours.

Has anyone heard of the 5 hour change? Any comments about the dealer's desire to get the breakin oil changed so soon?

Thanks in advance.

/ Oil change question - X series #2  
Hi, As a dealer, we have always recommended a fairly early oil change on new equipment to get the breakin oil out. We usually recommend 10-15 hrs on pressure lubed engines. Best of Luck with your new X-series, they are great tractors! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Oil change question - X series #3  
Interesting reply from the dealer. I changed mine out on my 4010 at 13 hours. Figured that was at least 500 miles on a car, at 50 mph average speed. Good enough.

Ralph

/ Oil change question - X series #4  
My Hustler ZTR with a Kohler motor also was a 5hr oil change then every 50 thereafter.

/ Oil change question - X series #5  
Per instructions that were in my manual from John Deere for my JD LT180 (Kawasaki engine) it stated that the first oil change should be at 5 hours and then every 50 hours or anually thereafter. If your Kawasaki is liquid cooled it could be different.

/ Oil change question - X series #6  
The Operator's Manual does state 50 hours. My dealer said 50 hours was fine too. I changed mine at 10 hours.