Block heater

/ Block heater #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I bought a block heater for my 4115. I received the heater, plug, and a flange with two bolts. I do not see anywhere that I can install this flange. I do however see a screw in plug with what looks like a 1/2 inch drive opening in it. Could it be that I do not need this flange that John Deere sold me?

Dave /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Block heater #2  
Quite possible. If I remember right, I had the same thing with the block heater for my 990. A fairly obvious place to screw the heater directly into the engine block, but no need for the adapter flange. Presumably it is a generic block heater kit that fits several models.

By the way, that plug with the 1/2" drive took a LOT of force to break free on my machine. I had a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 3 or 4 foot cheater pipe on the end of it and it was still pretty tough to break free.

/ Block heater #3  
I put one in on my 4210 recently, no flange, just a threaded body and a plug. I had to remove the old plug with a 1/2" drive, like your's.

/ Block heater #4  
I have a 4110 which I think has the same motor as the 4115. The freeze plug is on the right side of the motor (as seen from sitting in the seat) towards the back. You should see two (2) screw holes that the flange screws into on either side of the freeze plug. I drain the coolant as much as would come out. I did have a little bit come out of the plug hole after removing it. Used thread locker on the flange bolts and anti-seize on the heater element.

Hope this helps

Mark

/ Block heater #5  
I don't know if you have installed your heater yet but I would suggest that while you have things all apart you also install a rad hose type heater. I find that it is more efficient to turn on a large heater just before using the tractor than leave a small one running all the time. I brought both my heater plugs out to one "cube tap" which plugs into the extension cord, then used an outlet which had a control switch in the house. If the driveway was plugged in the morning and it was cold enough to need the heater I switched it on before my coffee. I could have also used a timer or a radio controlled switch but the timer would have turned on my hydro bill every day, needed or not, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and the radio switches we have aren't always reliable.

/ Block heater
Thanks everyone for your help. The plug was on the left side of the engine and I used a 1/2 drive breaker bar with a pipe to get that bugger out. The flange goes back to John Deere cause they sold me a $40 part that I did not need.

Thanks
Dave /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Block heater #7  
That is strange of the left side of the engine. I too have freeze plugs on that side however none of them are threaded. The heater element I got from the dealer is threaded. This is the reason for the thread flange that attaches to the engine and the heater element screws into. I looked on the JD website and the 4115 takes the same heater element setup as my 4110. I would be interested in how you make out. FYI , I also installed the trans heater. Did this during the 50hr service when I drained and replaced the hydro fluid.

Mark

/ Block heater
Mark,
If I sit on my 4115, the freeze plugs are on the right side of the engine. On the left side is a 1 1/2" plug with a square hole so that a 1/2" drive wrench will fit into it. I was confused when I seen the flange that came with the kit. Thats why I posted on this web site. I know the 4115 is a little larger than 4110, so I guess they used a different engine.

Dave

/ Block heater #9  
Dave ,

I am not sure if the plugs on the left side that you indicate could also be used for a heater. If that 1 1/2 plug on the left is threaded and will except the heater element then maybe that will work. All I know is that the setup from the dealer that includes the heater element and the flange were designed to work with the last plug on the right side on the engine (as seen from sitting in the seat). Maybe the 4115 has two places that the heater element can be installed. The 4110 only has this one spot (plug) that requires the flange.

Good Luck , You will enjoy having a nice warm engine on those cold days. I have the trans heater as well and it works just as good as the block heater ...

Mark

/ Block heater #10  
The 4110 and the 4115 have VERY different engines! Hence the $3000.00 price difference.