4115 tranny fluid confusion

/ 4115 tranny fluid confusion #1  

OCDLubeman

Hi everyone,

I have a JD 4115 and the manual's fluid recommendation for the transmission/hydraulic fluid contradicts itself.

This is for lower Michigan where we see wide temperature variations. The tractor runs 80% in the "summer" with temps often over 80F. I snow plow with it about 5 to 8 times in the winter and the temps only occasionally go below 0F.

The fluid chart shows Low temp Hy Gard good from -40f to ONLY 80F. Regular Hy Gard is 0F to 122F.

The manual states: Use oil viscosity based on expected air temperature......... JOHN DEERE LOW VISCOSITY HY GARD IS RECOMMENDED (my emphasis). Standard Hy Gard may also be used. The Low vis is recommended several other times in the manual (top offs, etc.).

One dealer told me Low Vis is factory installed and stay with that regardless of the temp chart 80F max. "These smaller tractors need less viscous fluid".

Another dealer said stick with the chart and use standard Hy Gard year round because it fits our temperatures better.

Has anyone figured this out or received a definitive answer from the company??? It shouldn't be this hard! And, I don't want to mess up a $12,000+ tractor.

Thank you much!

/ 4115 tranny fluid confusion #2  
Seems like you are on the border line .. If your JD dealer told you it had low vis. in it now ,, than I would go with that.. Though Hy Gard would work as well.. It may be a little less responsive if temp.. would go down in the minus for a long period of time.. I use Hy Gard in my 4115.. But than temps here hardly ever goes down to zero...

/ 4115 tranny fluid confusion #3  
I have been told to run the Low Vis Hy Gard in my 4110 and that it tests as a better tranny oil than regular hy gard for the smaller compacts. This from my JD service manager who just came back from an "oil school" in late summer.

If you follow the recommendations and run Low Vis, and then you start to have performance problems in high temps, you can always go to the regular Hy gard and add a tranny heater to get up to good temps in the winter. In the colder temps, just make sure your machine is up to operating temps before getting started. The 4110 and 4115 have a very effective trans oil cooler out front.

/ 4115 tranny fluid confusion
Thank you very much, gentleman for some common sense advice.

I actually received an e-mail answer to my question from John Deere (corporate) - sometimes it's hard to get through to someone you trust handling questions.

They recommended the Low Vis for my location/use.

It's hard for old dogs to change. It's so ingrained for me to use the standard Hy Gard in my big tractors with gear transmissions. I forgot that this 4115 is hydrostatic and different in nature.

Thanks again. Great tractor, by the way.

/ 4115 tranny fluid confusion #5  
Yes, I must agree it is confusing. My manual on the 2305 shows the Low Viscosity Hy-Guard's (J20D) temp range is -18F to 104F and that regular Hy-Guard (J20C) is from 0F to 122F. Since I live in Phoenix, I was instructed to use Hy-Guard by the Service Manager at the dealer. The manual suggests to use either one and the sticker on the underside of the hood says to use J20D (Low-Vis). So confusing.

/ 4115 tranny fluid confusion #6  
I also live in MI and addressed this problem on my 2210 by switching to AMSOIL "ATH" synthetic hydraulic fluid. It meets both J20C and J20D specs and is intended for all-temperature use. I switched at 50 hours and am 125 and it works great. Especially nice to have responsive hydraulics when the temps are below zero.

Description (long): "AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil is an "all weather" Universal Tractor Transmission Oil (UTTO) engineered to meet the tough demands of heavy-duty, hydraulic-powered farm and commercial equipment. Its unique formulation of synthetic base stocks and additives effectively reduces wear, resists heat, protects against rust and extends fluid and equipment service life. AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil is recommended for extended oil drains based on oil analysis.

Excellent Protection in Temperature Extremes -
AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil operates over a wide range of temperatures. It has a high viscosity index to maintain its lubricity at high operating temperatures, and it flows at temperatures as low as -47°F (-44°C) for improved equipment operation and wear protection at low temperatures. AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil exceeds the most demanding "all weather" specifications of both Ford New Holland FNHA-2-C-200 & 2-C-201 and John Deere J20C & J20D, eliminating the need for seasonal oil changes.

Smooth Brake Operation - AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil is formulated with durable friction modifier additives that effectively suppress wet brake chatter. Unlike conventional oils that can break down and cause vibration, AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil provides continuous frictional stability for long-term smooth brake operation."

/ 4115 tranny fluid confusion #7  
Just my uninformed observations:

I run Low-Vis Hyguard (in the 4115), at the dealer's recommendation, year-round. In the summer, I may run the FEL and BH, or the grooming mower, when it's 80-95 deg. (F) + (with lots of water on hand for me). In the winter, I've blown and pushed snow at -15 to -20 deg (F). So far (400+ hours) I've had no problems. However, I do run a block heater to warm it up in the winter and let it idle at about 1100 rpm for a while, before I kick in the blower, or lift the rear blade. Then, I move them up and down slowly, several times to get the hydraulic fluid moving and make sure they are moving smoothly. In the summer, I always let it idle for a while, after working it, to let things cool down, before shutting down.

/ 4115 tranny fluid confusion #8  
If there's any state where we'd be borderline for use of the low vis trans fluid, it would be us here in Va. The dealer parts people recommended the low vis. That's what I used for my 50 hour change on my 4010. Think main problem is use in the cold. High vis fluid could give you possibly some higher pressures before relief valve pop, low to no flow because of pump having trouble pumping, etc.

Think you'd only want to use the high vis stuff from around middle La/northern Fl down.

Ralph