Seat button on 4010

/ Seat button on 4010
I did it, and it works.

Both the 4010 and 4110 (and probably 4115 and 790) have identical buttons underneath the seat. The button on the 4110, 4115 & 790 works in the up position to allow you to use the PTO with no one on the seat. The 4110, 4115 & 790 have seat brackets that allow the operators to pull the button up and then sit back onto the seat to work the clutch to use the PTO on their gear transmissions. The 4010 only comes in HST and doesn't need the seat brackets, but the button does not work in the up position. Apparently the wires going back to the control module from the up position wires, do nothing on the 4010.
Here's the procedure to make the button work to operatue the PTO with the seat button in the UP position on a 4010 and to disconnect those wires from the control module, to avoid confusing the module if voltage is sensed from either of these wires:

o Locate a 10 mm wrench or very thin-walled 10 mm socket. You'll need an open end to remove the bolts holding the button in place unless you happen to have a very thin-walled socket that will go between the holes where the 10 mm bolts are holding the button in.
o Remove the button by pulling it down against the spring that holds it in position, in order to get the 10 mm wrench on the bolts. Or, use your very thin-walled socket.
o Use a screwdriver or one edge of the 10mm wrench to push the plastic clip holding the electrical connector together. Pull apart. You'll find the terminal underneath some plastic sheathing that can easily be pulled back.
o With a test light, locate the pair of terminals at the connector that serve in the button up position. These will likely be the mostly blue and blue-striped ones. The test light will come on with the button pulled up when you find the right pair.
o Just to check, use your test light to check that the other 2 terminals light the light if you push the the button down.
o Twist off the button-up connections with needle nose pliers.
o Plug back in and start the tractor, if you want to be certain that you did the right 2 terminals. Check that the rear PTO can be pulled out with the button pushed down.
o Remove from terminal connecter again and jumper the mostly blue & mostly red wires. You can do this with some jumper connectors you can buy at Radio Shack. You'll probably find these wires are side-by-side.

o Jumper the blue stripe & red stripe wires. Again, you'll probably find these are side-by-side. I couldn't put the 2nd jumper side-by-side but stripped off some of the plastic over the wires and located the 2nd jumper further down line.
o Just for insurance, I wrapped the jumpers with electrical tape. Then, plug into the connector and check PTO with button down and button up. Should work in both positions.
o Bolt button back into position.

If you bugger the job, you can get another button for $27.18. I have a spare, a 4110 one that I bought that has a different part # than the 4010 but is identical to it.

I think JD just screwed up on the control module internals somehow, and the lawyers had them put in the 4010 manuals that the PTO can't be used without someone sitting in the seat. Sounds as though they've done the same for the 2210/2305.
Somehow, the wires from the button up position on the 4110, 4115 & 790 must go back to the control module to sense the clutch action on geared models. Otherwise, I can't figure why JD didn't just join the wires at the button from the 2 positions and save a pair of wires back to the control module.

Ralph

/ Seat button on 4010 #22  
This is a great post. A complete how-to which will, I'm sure, benefit many owners. Thanks for making the effort and taking the time to ferret out the procedure.

Cliff

/ Seat button on 4010 #23  
Glad you finally got it working /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Seat button on 4010
Now, I need to get the chipper blade back on my Mac. JD didn't have the allen screws. Had to order them. Couldn't find anywhere else in town.

Drilled a hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing on the Mac and got the one allen screw out that I'd dropped. It was chewed a couple places. Can't reuse it. So, I've only one good allen screw. Have to wait for the screws from JD. The Mac is slightly out of balance to run it with the shredder without the chipper blade in place.

Got more expert in removing and replacing stuff on the 3 pt yesterday. Took off the Mac, put on my BB and put some heater hose along the bottom edge of it for the winter, took it off and then mounted my carryall. Took it off after using it and put my drawbar on the 3 pt. Got someone coming to pickup the Troy Bilt Tomahawk today. Can either pull it up the hill or pick it up in the bucket, depending on what the person buying it brings to carry it back to his place.

Ralph

/ Seat button on 4010 #25  
Glad you modified it for your needs. I sincerely doubt JD "screwed up" then re-wrote their manuals. The engineers simply didn't want the 4010 or 2210 rear PTO to operate without an operator in the seat. The seat brace doesn't have exclusive application to a GST. It's indicated for use with both so you can see the control panel while working a PTO implement from behind the machine, and also for operating the clutch on the GST. Who knows why they don't want you back their grinding behind the 4010, but it's an intentional thing. I'm sure it was cheaper to assemble the differently configured machines using the same 4-pole switch and use a single pair for the 4010. I recall reading that the 4010/4110/4115 all came off the same assembly line. Maybe there is a wheel height/wheel base/ or other physical minimum standard for ANSI and/or OSHA compliant rear PTO use with no operator in the seat. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Seat button on 4010
Here are some replies from some Kubota folks regarding use of the PTO off seat. I think JD messed up. Would like to hear from someone who works for JD on this. All I've gotten from the dealer is the 800 # to order a service manual.

Here are the Kubota replies:

BX2200, if you fold the seat forward, then you can use at least the rear PTO. I've used the PHD this way, standing beside.

If I leave the seat in the normal position and engage the PTO, it will kill the engine.

Ron

I've got a BX1500 and the seat flips forward allowing the PTO to be used when not seated on the tractor. Works great.
Rick

Ralph

/ Seat button on 4010
Got my maintenance manual CD from JD.

The seat button circuitry shows NOTHING on the defeat (button up) position on the 4010. However, what I actually have is a button identical to the one on a 4110 (yes, I bought a 4110 button and have the circuitry for the 4110, thanks to Kenny).

You could probably get by without removing the connector pins (option: cutting the blue wires between the button and connector) because the ciruitry shows nothing going back to the control module. However, I'd go ahead and do as I describe above. It works and removes any possibility of any current/voltage getting back to the control module from the defeat (button up) position other than through the same circuitry as the button down wires.

Update: got my allen screws for my chipper blade and put it on the MacKissis Saturday morning using some blue Loctite and a very short extension handle not to tighten too tightly. Weather has prevented me from using it. Hope to do some shredding this afternoon using the seat and button up to operate the PTO.

Ralph