Snow John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions.

/ John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions. #1  

bocephus

Hey Guys, im coming close to my first tractor purchase. I have a JD 770 in my sights. I have been having trouble finding alot of info on this model and i havent made it out to the dealer to look it over yet. I think these tractors come in 2 kinds of trannys...collar shift and syncro? but you still cant shift either of these while moving right?
is this machine basically what the 790 took over for? same frame?

my real concern is using it to remove snow. i live in Md and we dont get to much. We own a service station and I would like to use this machine with a blade to plow snow. our lot isnt real big. my questions are:
can you use a front mount blade on this machine? is there hydraulics in the front?

is this machine suitable for light occasional snow removal? or will be like "peeing in the wind?"

thanks guys!
John

/ John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions. #2  
John, I've got a 790 which superceded the 770. Basically the same tractor with a tad more hp. I live in lake effect snow country and use a back blade and FEL for snow removal. It works well in all but the deepest snows which for me means up to about 8 inches is no problem at all. More than that and I have to resort to slightly different tactics. It's pretty light, shich causes some problems in the deeper snows. I got my tires loaded and that helped things quite a bit.

There is a front blade available but it's pricey. You can pick up a cheap rear blade for just a few hundred bucks and for snow they work just fine. There is also a front blower but it's VERY pricey. A rear blower is less but still more than the front blade.

Bottom line, for your area I'm sure it would work just great. The FEL will be much easier to use around obstacles and a rear blade will clear the open areas quickly.

Mechanically, it's a very sound, reliable tractor. I've had absolutely no problems with mine in three+ years of ownership /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions. #3  
Hi John
I would agree with Rob. I just bought a 770 in july with 300hrs like new.I have put on 40 hrs with no problems I use a
3pt backhoe and just made front forks for handling firewood.
My brotherinlaw has a 790 that is three years old. which is the same frame and hydralics just afew less horses. Ithink you will make out just fine. go for it Tim

/ John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions. #4  
I suppose one question I have is why, in particular, the 770? These tractors are bulldogs; they are simple with no frills and very durable, but the tranny is pretty rudimentary. They also do not have a great deal of hydraulic power for loader, etc. That said, the 770 is a good machine for the money, but if snow removal from your lot is a primary task, why not go with a small framed 4000 series? There seem to be a fair supply at some dealers of slightly used or new ones, and they give you hydro, similar if not better hydraulics and quick attach front blades with which they would be much more manuverable. They likely would be a bit more pricey, but pretty close, say for a 4110. Although the HP is less, they can be ballasted to close to the same weight and have a lot more features. It would also plow like a hound with a front blade and I bet would be close to twice as fast. Just a thought. Also, I have used both the front and rear blades for removing snow and I much prefer the front blade. They are more expensive, but are very much worth the difference.

John M

/ John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions. #5  
"My brotherinlaw has a 790 that is three years old. which is the same frame and hydraulics just afew less horses"

Actually, the 790 has a few more HP...27 (790) vs. 24 (770) and 24 (790 at the PTO) vs 20 (for the 770).

I've had the 770's little brother (670) and now it's replacement (790). Been real happy with both machines.

I think you'll be happy with that 770. I second what Rob said about using a rear blade for snow removal. Attached pic shows the 670 in action after a blizzard (30" of snow) a few years back. I do most of the snow plowing w/ the blade. The loader is used for pulling snow back from the garage doors and (as shown in the picture) moving snow to allow more plowing. BTW, I'm just south east of York, PA so we get close to the same accumulations unless you're in southern MD.

The transmission is a collarshift, and no...you really need to stop to shift. However, for snow removal, 1st and Reverse high range work good,. The gears are in line, so shifting is pretty quick. Quick as a hydro? No, but within a second or two.

So, what other tasks do you have planned for this tractor?

Attachments

• 766247-snow1.jpg
    766247-snow1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 738
   / John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions.
thanks for the replies guys.
I settled on the 770, mainly for price. I realize its a pretty basic machine, however I dont want to really go into the 5 digits and for the basic operations im using it for i think it will suffice. i still would like to a hydro.... perhaps next time around.

Roy, yeah, your right we do get about the same snow fall. my fiance's father, just built a house about 10 minutes outside of red lion PA.

I plan on using it for mainly mowing, snow removal, dragging timber, and possibly a tiller. I hope to go through with my plan on getting 50 Acres (or more!) in western North Carolina, and building a house soon.

thanks for the input guys, the 770 should be shipped out to me on monday. i'll post pictures when it gets here.

John

/ John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions. #7  
"Roy, yeah, your right we do get about the same snow fall. my fiance's father, just built a house about 10 minutes outside of red lion PA. "

I'm about three miles outside of Red Lion.

Which tires do you have on it?. If turfs....you might want chains for the rear tires. I have no trouble plowing...I normally make my first pass when there's 8 to 10 inches of accumulation.

As far as skidding trees..well, the 770 is pretty light. You can do it, but you'll have to trim the trees down if the trunk is more then 8" or so. Turf tires wouldn't be my first choice for that kind of work.

Enjoy that fine little 770...I'm sure you'll get many years of work out of it!

Roy, thanks for the advice. Her parents live back in the woods near the corner of burkeholder road and blacksmith.
i dont plan on nothing skidding anything real big, but i'll keep it in mind.
I told my fiance's father about the new deere and he has big plans for grading part of his lot with it now. so i might come off with some new attachments out of the deal!

it does have turf's, so i will look into some chains.

take care
John

/ John Deere 770, snow removal and a few questions. #9  
"Roy, thanks for the advice. Her parents live back in the woods near the corner of burkeholder road and blacksmith."

I pass that area everyday I go to work...they're maybe 2 miles (if that) as the crow flies from my place.

small world roy.

this will be my first diesel motor, ever. im unsure if this machine has a block heater installed already. what would you recommend for starting this thing when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground?