1967 2020 gas tractor starting problems

/ 1967 2020 gas tractor starting problems #11  
Sounds like its starving for fuel at startup. Doublecheck the choke mechanism and make sure its working correctly. Sometimes you can feather/adjust the chokes on most engines until they are warm.

/ 1967 2020 gas tractor starting problems #12  
Wondering if you've had any luck with your problem?

/ 1967 2020 gas tractor starting problems #13  
This tractor is giving me fits! When she first starts she sounds like a "one lunger" putt.....putt.....putt...putt...putt..putt.puttputtputt slowly increasing rpm's for about 10 seconds until up to full running speed. This is a list of things that have been done:
1.new fuel solenoid (no fuel blockage she will run forever never miss a beat once she's going)
2. new coil (stock from dealer)
3. new plugs (champion)
4. starter rebuilt ( she has plenty of spin )
5. new battery
6. last fall took to JD dealer to fix lack of power problem. they "set" the carb. and gave tractor "tune up" this problem was before that and continued after they worked on it.
7. pointless ignition
Coil is wired correctly, + to starter solenoid , - to distrb.

This condition makes it impossible to start in the winter (South Dakota) unless the tank heater is plugged in and a knipco is running under a tarp. She will barely start when the temps are in the low 40's.

Any ideas? Bad plug wires? Bad new coil?
I will mention that the previous owner put a GM type alternator with the internal regulator on it so the original wires from the voltage regulator are cut near the alt. and just sitting there.

What fixed your hard starting problem?

/ 1967 2020 gas tractor starting problems #14  
Pitt13
:welcome: to TBN

You may want to send member "unclechan" a PM, as he's not been active since Nov. 2005. A pm will activate his email and maybe we can all learn what happened.

Start a new thread and give us some ideas if you have the same problem, and maybe someone can help out.

/ 1967 2020 gas tractor starting problems #15  
What fixed your hard starting problem?

Yes I have the same problem. John Deere 2020 very hard to start either cold or hot.

I've replaced everything but the muffler and I need to check the timing. Once I get it
Running it runs great. I was having problems with it shutting off after 15 minutes but I
Replaced the 20 amp breaker near the ignition switch and it ran for hours before I cut if off.
I tried to start it up again about 5 minutes later and it took for ever to get it started.

I replaced the following: plugs, wires, cap, matching electronic coil and electronic pointless
Ignition. All fluids changed and filters cleaned. New starter solenoid. New battery. Plenty of fuel at the carburetor bowl.
Rebuild carburetor. I had the tractor for one year working through the problems. My last problem is the
Tractor won't start worth a crap either cold or hot.

Any ideas?