3320/3520 digging force

/ 3320/3520 digging force #1  

roermo

Gold Member
Tractor
4110 JD
Ok today I stopped by the local dealer, he has a 3120 in and I about feel off my feet, what a beauty. I have a 4110 with fel. I need more power for the bucket, or so I think. I have good loam on top but spin out once I hit clay. Would the new line up from the 3120 to 3520 do better in bucket work breaking up the dirt. What about teeth on my tractor I own now and save the money. But I seem to spin out. I do a lot of diffrent bucket work from removing old gardens diging up railroad ties. Moving dirt around our camp area. Bring dirt home for other uses. I am even going to be diging out a hill side to build a garage. But will higher a front end loader for this, I would love a back hoe but the cost of this I could rent a bh for what little work I have for it. But if I win the loto it will be a diffrent story.

Can any one tell me how well the bucket on a 31,33, 3520 will dig and going up to the 3520 would be that much better for fel work.

Also would it be out of line to ask the dealer to have the bucket on the tractor and let me test its digging force. I did not do this when I bought the 4110.

again thanks
roger

Thanks again
Roger /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 3320/3520 digging force #2  
On your 4110 how much rear ballast do you use and do you have the tires filled?

I have a 3320 and with the 300X loader and no rear ballast I was able to dig up a 10 year old dirt pile about 6' tall and 15' in diameter no problem.

I am now moving towards recommended rear ballast weights and will buy a tooth bar next spring to make the loader work even better. I know the 3320 without loader is 2900lbs and has plenty of power to plow through the work that I do. I cannot tell you comparitively though as the 3320 is the only tractor perse that I have owned.

I would look into making loading with your 4110 better first - I believe it can be done. Then upgrade to a 4720 when you get ready. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Make it worth the time and energy.

/ 3320/3520 digging force #3  
You might want to try a tooth bar on your 4110. it should help you brake up the clay better.The 3120 tru 3720 are the same frame tractor. The traction and lift are the same for all its just more horsepower to move it.

Jim

/ 3320/3520 digging force #4  
On my 4100 (older version of 4110), digging with the FEL without rear ballast or a toothbar was not really productive.

Added a toothbar, 900 lbs of rear ballast, bar front tires, and chains over the rear turfs and it bacame a productive digging machine. Total upgrade cost was about $500 for the toothbar, chains, tires, and concrete block.

If you really had a lot of digging to to, I would look at adding a backhoe which will be much more productive at penetrating undisturbed, compacted soil.

You could also try ripping first using the rippers on a box blade or a sub-soiler. I have used that technique with success as well.

- Rick