turkey day log roll and question

/ turkey day log roll and question #1  

roermo

Gold Member
Tractor
4110 JD
Happy Thanks giving all>
I got to get out in the woods today and push round a 20-22 inch wide & 14 ft long sycamore logs that blow down in high winds. I have a 4110 jd with a rear back blade rb 190 ?? with 4 40 pounds suitcase weights hanging off the back. I also have a bucket. I have attached a picture of the log. Not sure what it would weigh but it would have to be 900 pounds + a 3 ft section of this log I could not pick up by hand.

My questions I am hoping some one could answer is could I use a grapple to pick this up and load in my trail instead of cutting on site. Plus once in the trailer long ways would a grapple pick it out or would I be better off cutting them and the width of the trailer and placing them so I can drive up to them instead of reaching over the side.

I want to step up to the 3520 jd would this be more what I need instead of the 4110.

Any one that would chip in it would helpful. I was able to roll the logs out of the woods to a better spot that I will cut them up at, but would rather bring them on in to town at my house and work on them, cut to size and split..

Have a good turkey day.

Roger

Haninbal MO.

Attachments

• 776931-11 24 05 log pushed by tractor 1.jpg
    776931-11 24 05 log pushed by tractor 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 513
   / turkey day log roll and question
2nd photo of log and tractor, and I did put up the rops before working. Safty 1st.
thanks
roger

Attachments

• 776932-11 24 05 log pushed by tractor 2.jpg
    776932-11 24 05 log pushed by tractor 2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 451
sorry one more comment picture of the log see on the left a 16 inch concrete block for scale.

roll on in and let me know what the 4110 can do or if I should step up to the 3520, This is just one of many reasons I want more tractor.

thanks

/ turkey day log roll and question #4  
your going to need more tractor

/ turkey day log roll and question #5  
I would bet a 50hp would be too light to pick those up. I'd cut it up and split it in place and haul it out that way. You could also drag it out of the woods..

/ turkey day log roll and question #6  
Are you cutting for firewood or lumber. If firewood, go ahead and cut rounds to length on site. Your tractor should handle those OK. If you are milling lumber you will need a different solution. Either a bigger tractor or a grapple on a boom truck/trailer to handle something that heavy.

Just curious, is sycamore a desired wood for woodworking? What's it like? I've never worked with it but we do have quite a bit in our area. I have never heard of furniture made of sycamore /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks folks for the feed back,
RobS Sycamore is what I would call a soft wood, not used around here for any thing I know of, some of the truck is pure white, large leaf, kind of pretty tree, this one blew down in a storm, This tree grows in low lying area likes lots of water. I also get pecan that fall or sometime white oak or walnut. I am the only one nuts enough to fool with it for fire wood. it burns ok but fast and has a lot of ash.
I figured my 4110 would not pick up the whole log in the picturer but I rooled it to this spot about 200 ft. off a sand levee.

So now I know for sure that my 4110 or even a 50 horse will not pick it up. But I had a devel of a time pushing this log.
What about 6 ft would my 4110 or 3520 work.

Also would a cheaper way to go to pick up 6 ft log section be a palit fork.?

thanks again

/ turkey day log roll and question #8  
I use the pallet fork to move logs. There is a limit (always is) no matter what the tractor size is. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It is never big enough.

That log, at 22" diam and 14' long is about 2000 pounds.

beenthere:
thanks, thought that might be up in that range, it would not fit on my bathroom scale so was not sure.

I guess I need to cut it down to size that I can manage: I am trying to figure out a way to load into a trailer and handle them as little as possible. Cannot split and cut all on the site for a few reason: wife wants me home
if it rains ground is wet for days
if I do not remove them others help them
selves

have not price folks but that would have to be cheaper than a grapple set up.
and pro and cons to either.

thanks

roger. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ turkey day log roll and question #10  
Last fall on the day after thanksgiving we loaded a 14 foot long,four foot diameter log with my L3400 Bota. We used steel rails to create a ramp to the side of the trailer and pushed the logs on with the loader. Never did pick it up, but did load it safely. Sycamore is a very desirable wood for wood working. We sold it for a nice sum of money.