Blew the rear main seal!

/ Blew the rear main seal! #1  

browns40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD3520
Well I was sitting down to have a smoke last weekend, looking at the tractor, when I noticed a funny drip...

About 6 seconds later, another... so I crawled under & looked around and there was oil throughout the front clutch (center piece of traCTOR TO REAR OF OILPAN/ENGINE BACK) housing per the flywheel! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The dealer said he'd never seen it on a new CUT, but that it should not be too bad of a fix... sad thing is it's almost time for snow now.

Thing is, I just noticed this at 112 hours! Could have happened a day earlier, but I'm pretty meticulous about maintenance...

So here's a question: why the cup would fail at such low hours? Would a poor install hold that long? What could an operator do (beyond over-revving/oil pressure) to cause it--could they?

Boy, it's quiet around here without my diesel... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hAPPY TRACTORING! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Blew the rear main seal! #2  
There's not anything you did. I assume your oil was changed at proper interval with correct oil for your climate. It may have been leaking longer than you think. Rear main leaks usually take some time to be noticeable unless your really looking for them.

/ Blew the rear main seal! #3  
Things like this happen with new models, nothing to worry about unless JD doesn't cover it, which I'm sure they will. I didn't have that happen, but I had other things go wrong. I have a 4700 bought new in July 2000, new models always have there problems and JD does a good job standing behind there product.

David