Oil & Fuel Fuel Station

/ Fuel Station #31  
<font color="blue"> </font>
I come from aviation background.
Yes static is always a concern, less with fuel than gas and less yet in winter, but still there.

Proper precautions would call for a 'static discharge ground'.

Very easy to accomplish. Any conducter grounded to the storage container and attached to the tractor would do the trick.

Example; Electrical cord attached (use star washer on bare metal) to a pump bolt/screw with an aligator clip at other end. Simply clip onto the tractor (before filling) to any bare metal surface.
Ground (static line) would be about 2' longer than the filling hose.

All aircraft have specific grounding points for this purpose and all fuelling rigs/pumps have retractable static ground lines with alligator clips.

<font color="blue"> </font>
Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to do that in the next hour.
No risks to be taken!

/ Fuel Station #32  
I was a petroleum laboratory technician in the Army and for some tests we had to ground the containers because of the large static buildup caused by the vacuum pumps and the mixtures of explosive chemicals we were using.

We had to run the ground into the fuel, not just the glass or plastic containers. You simply feed a bare stranded stainless steel or copper wire through the hoses and run them out of the hoses where they are clamped onto the container. Then place one clip on the container and one clip on the grounding point. We then had to test the ground with a meter to make sure it was good.

A one gallon JP8 aviation kerosene sample washed down with 300 millileters of very volitale petroleum ether (that has a flash point of -80C) through an extreemly fine millipore filter with 25hg vacuum will blow up an entire mobile laboratory if you don't follow the correct procedures. There was either 1 or 2 soldiers killed running this test a few years back, The pictures were not pretty. This is the extreeme example like a grain elevator explosion and I say anything you can try to do right helps gaurd against this.

Straight diesel, which has a faily high flash point compared to other fuels, through a low volume pump, hand or sandpiper air pump like these examples here, while the container is sitting on the ground should be fine and you will be hard pressed to generate the kind of static electricity like a helecopter or other aircraft. If you have ever done flight ops or sling load ops at night with a helecopter you know what the blue ring of fire at the tip of the rotors is and to watch some idiot shock himself and send out this huge blue spark by touching the bird before it is grounded with the probe is a really funny site as long as nobody gets hurt.

/ Fuel Station #33  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mike,handy-d-pump sounds like another good way to get fuel to the tractor.Heres a question,what engineer or person came up with the idea NOT to put a vent on these new fuel containers,apparently these people have never filled a chainsaw or weed eater before.

Mike )</font>

I looked for 2 months to find yellow vented diesel cans. Finally, Farm and Fleet got them back in stock.

I feel like buying a few extra vented cans to keep for my lifetime - they seem to be another candidate for the endangered species list.

/ Fuel Station #34  
.Heres a question,what engineer or person came up with the idea NOT to put a vent on these new fuel containers,apparently these people have never filled a chainsaw or weed eater before.
There is at least 3 different styles of cans
Seperate vented
Self vented
No spill

/ Fuel Station #35  
I now swear by the 'no spill' cans. I replaced all my other cans with these things (sold the old ones at our annual garage sale). 2 1/2 gal is the right size for me; easy to get into the back of the pick-up, easy to lift over the hood of my JD 4110, easy to maneuver when filling the weed whacker, chain saw, blower...

This company (referred by another TBN'er) was great to deal with.

-Norm

/ Fuel Station #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I now swear by the 'no spill' cans.

)</font>

While others swear at them.

How do you pour from them into a funnel ?

/ Fuel Station #37  
No need to use a funnel in my experience. Since no fuel comes out until you push the little button I just make sure the spout is in the filler neck of whatever I'm filling before I push it! Even on my little Stihl weed whacker the gas opening is at least 1" in diameter, the 'no spill' spout is only about 1/2" dia.

I don't believe I even own a funnel, I haven't had the need for one in years.

-Norm

/ Fuel Station #38  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No need to use a funnel in my experience. Since no fuel comes out until you push the little button I just make sure the spout is in the filler neck of whatever I'm filling before I push it! Even on my little Stihl weed whacker the gas opening is at least 1" in diameter, the 'no spill' spout is only about 1/2" dia.

I don't believe I even own a funnel, I haven't had the need for one in years.

-Norm )</font>

=============
I use a MR FUNNEL when I fill my Tractor.
I put the funnel in the tank then pour out of a 5 gallon self vented can into the funnel to fill the tank.

What I'm asking is can You pour out of the no spill cans into Mr Funnel like this?

/ Fuel Station #39  
I don't see why not. As long as your MR Funnel is self-supporting in the fuel filler opening I don't see why you couldn't use a no-spill can. The no-spill takes 2 hands to hold/operate as I'm sure most fuel cans do.

-Norm

/ Fuel Station #40