Oil & Fuel JD 5420 Fuel Delivery Problem

/ JD 5420 Fuel Delivery Problem #1  

burnetma

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5420 MFWD 541 FEL JD X758
I have been experiencing occasional fuel delivery problems with my tractor. More specifically, the fuel pump looses the prime and the unit will stall. Generally the tractor will be running fine and then it will quit. I have to go through the priming sequence. I can not find any obvious leaks in the system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Delivery Problem #2  
I assume your tractor is still in warranty. There have been some issues with this tractor because of the low location of the tank. Usually the problem is worse with a low level of fuel in the tank. There is a check valve that can be installed in the fuel line- part#AL117189. If that does not fix it, an electric fuel pump can be installed to provide a positive flow of fuel to the injection pump. Have your dealer look at solution #54399. If your tractor is not in warranty, it is a pretty easy fix you might do yourself. The part 3 for electric pump is KV13829. It is used on skid steer loaders with the same engine as your tractor.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Delivery Problem
Wow!!! I will look into that first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks a million. It is really frustrating when a new tractor is unreliable.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Delivery Problem #4  
I believe jd110 is correct. They replaced the pump on my FIL's when I took it in for an oil change/check up. I think the part and labor may have been almost $130 or so.

I noticed the symptoms when the fuel tank was low but seems OK now.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Delivery Problem #5  
Let me know how you make out.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Delivery Problem
The JD Service Technician came out on Wednesday. He disassembled the hand purge pump on the fuel filter housing and found a small piece of debris in the little red valve on the top of the diaphragm. It was a piece of aluminum foil ~ 1/16" square and a 1/4" long piece of fine hay. The unit still would not pull a prime. So he looked around some more and found that there was a check valve in the fuel line just above the hydraulic oil filter. He pulled the check valve and blew some compressed air through it and it cleared. The unit now runs fine. I asked the Tech to investigate the addition of an electric fuel pump. He will do so and install it when he returns to replace the instrument panel as the hour meter is blacked out. He agreed with me that the system is too sensitive to be reliable. I will update when the job is completed, in the meantime, I know what to look for if it happens again.

Thanks to all for the replies.