4300 Hydrostatic Pedal Pressure

/ 4300 Hydrostatic Pedal Pressure #1  

walls1

I have a 1 year old 4300. The hydrastatic pedal pressure has always been a little stiff especially in reverse. I have the shop manual and looked at the spring which determines this pressure. I do not see two settings as some people have talked about. Looks like only a weaker compression spring would be required. Could someone tell me how to adjust the hydraulic pedals without having to take the tractor back to the shop?

/ 4300 Hydrostatic Pedal Pressure #2  
Is your reverse pedal shorter then the forward pedal? Is it sort of cranked off to the side at an odd angle and hard to hold down to the floor. I have a 4400 made about 5/2000. I just drove my friends 4300 made about 5/2001. Night and day! His pedals are the same size and angled properly. I hauled mine over to make a side by side comparison. The linkage is completely, totally different. The pressure is halved and the ergonomics are perfect. Called the dealer and they are going to change mine, no charge!

/ 4300 Hydrostatic Pedal Pressure #3  
The JD 4000 midframe tractors got a lot of complaints about the stiff pedal pressures and difficulty in reaching the reverse pedal. Sometime last year the factory made corrective changes. They made the reverse pedal closer, slightly higher than the forward pedal, and supposedly changed the linkages so the pedal pressure is less stiff. Many people, including us Kubota drivers, still consider them too stiff. The JD 4000 large frame tractors do not have this problem.

The 4010's are supposed to finally remedy this issue with electronic hydro, whatever that is.

/ 4300 Hydrostatic Pedal Pressure #4  
The Kubota L 4610 pedal pressure or force required is: 7.7 lbs in high range, brake set, 1500 to 1200 RPM

The JD 4600 with same conditions is 17.6 lbs and the 4300 is 30.8 lbs

/ 4300 Hydrostatic Pedal Pressure #5  
I bet that number for the 4300 is for the older pedal design. I have not actually measured how much force is required on my 4300 but I would be surprized if it was more than 15 lbs. I personally like the amount of force required on my 4300. If the amount of effort was lower I think that my leg would get tired from holding my foot off the pedal to avoid pushing it down to far.

18-29930-MJBTractor.gif

I love the smell of diesel in the morning./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 4300 Hydrostatic Pedal Pressure
My Tractor must be the older design. It has the short reverse pedal as you describe. Has anybody else had the pedals changed to the new design? Will all Dealers do this free of charge? I have not contacted mine yet.

/ 4300 Hydrostatic Pedal Pressure #7  
I agree with MJB. I like the greater pressure on the hydro pedals rather than too little. I bought a 4300 two years ago. I traded for a 4600 a year ago. I loved the power and the smooth running four cylinder 4600 but the hydro is different on the 4600-4700. There is almost no resistance on the hydro pedals. It is very nice at moderate rpm or doing loader work. But I was using the tractor with a mid mount mower. On rough ground even at moderate speeds (mowing at 4-5 mph) the hydro pedal would respond too quickly to the smallest change in foot pressure. I ended up using the cruise control probably more than I should have to avoid the irritating surging. It was only a problem when the turf was a little rough. JD sent a rep to check it out and said the tractor was working as designed. The spring and shock that attach to the pedals were replaced and the result was the same. In May I traded for a 4400. I like the pedal design better on this tractor. It is not overresponsive and I don't find the pressure to be excessive. (My 4400 has the new design pedals)