John Deere 5300

/ John Deere 5300 #1  

KRH

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5225 MFWD w Power Reverser; 2010 JD 110 tlb; 2007 JD 4520
Been reading this informative site for for quite some time and have learned a lot.

I looked at a used John Deere 5300 4X4(no FEL) with some 3500+ hours on it. It's been really used. Lots of brush hogging!!! The pto will not disengage. I tried everything. I crawled under it and the lever/linkage appears intact. The joy stick is also inoperable. The cables look good from below. Problem appears to at the stick where cables hook to it. Could these be expensive to fix? Need to know before I make offer. Of course, will be contacting the local JD Deere for advice tomorrow!!!!

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the ski country.

KRH

/ John Deere 5300 #2  
Welcome to TBN.

On the joystick problem did you check the lock lever on the joystick?

/ John Deere 5300
Jeff: Yes I did check it. It's not the problem. I looked through a crack in the boot and I can see a plactic piece that is broke or loose in there. Didn't have a screw drive to take the casing apart. Dealer said it would not be a huge item.

Thanks!!!!

Kevin

/ John Deere 5300 #4  
I have been thinking about the PTO problem. Is it fully engaged all the time even with something on it or is it just turning when the tractor is idleing with nothing on the pto. I seem to remember these tractors have a pto brake which may have failed allowing the PTO to turn.

/ John Deere 5300
Jeff: The pto won't disengage despite throwing the lever into the off position. It will only stop turning when the clutch is pushed in. Dealer say the pto clutch is a dry one and there is something that won't allow it to disengage. Worse case scenario is that the tractor would have to be broke in half to fix which would cost $1000 to $1500.
So I guess I need to keep looking for another tractor. Thanks for the help.

Kevin

/ John Deere 5300 #6  
the pto clutch is a dry disk.if the tractor had been used on a rotary cutter a lot the disk or steel plates may be warpped .very common problem with dry pto clutches .the estimate to repair is low if this is what is wrong

/ John Deere 5300
Stinkydog: A question though....can I adjust the linkage enough to allow it to disengage???? Or must I have the dry clutch replaced if it is warped?????

Thanks for the information.

Kevin

/ John Deere 5300 #8  
You need to have it replaced. Best case scenario in this situation is to figure on a full blown replacement. Take the cost of the tractor minus the repairs and that is where you need to be on the price. I can't even count enough times I've heard some guy buy something like this thinking it was an easy fix only to find out it needed the full fix and more. There are alot of good tractors out there. Unless you can get that one dirt cheap I'd wait and find one that isn't in as bad of condition.

/ John Deere 5300
Cowboydoc: I know what you are saying. Is $11,500 a good price??? That's where he is now!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Kevin

/ John Deere 5300 #10  
What year is it?