Mowing Flail mower or MidMount mower??

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower?? #1  

Nuru

Elite Member
Well i went and done it. Sold my house in one state, and now moved to another state and will be cutting 1 acre of grass. i have been consulting mower dealers and they seem to indicate that for what I want to do with my 4100 - cur 1 acre of grass in 40 minutes and not have to routinely pick up the grass. I should buy a flail mower at 84 inches, instead of my 54inch MMM. Any advice or suggestions? Some of the area to mow will be sloped, but not steep. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Also
i have a lawn sweeper but I don't think it will be good enough to handle the amounts I am looking at? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower?? #2  
Nuru: My JD dealer let me take a cd home which gives a good demo of the Trimax flail mower that they sell. VERY impressive! You can cut under pretty much any conditions...even wet and it gives a great looking cut. There's even a roller underneath that gives the finished area that "striped" look. That being said, I do not own a flail mower, however, that would be my first choice. You can also find flail mowers on the web at:
http://www.loftness.com/const.cfm?cat=con

If you listen to the hype from both manufacturers, the Trimax seems to be the better cutter. I hope that you post on whatever type of flail mower that you get.

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower?? #3  
An 84" flail mower better be able to cut that 1 acre in 10 minutes or I'd take it back.

On the serios side I know nothing about flail mowers.

I would keep the midmount. Cutting 1 acre in 40 minutes should be no problem with the quite capable 4100 and 54" deck. I cut 2 acres of flat ground with thick grass with alot of trees, a few buildings and other obstacles in less than an hour with the 60"deck on my 430 running in low range at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle.

Myself I don't care about the grass clippings but if I were in your shoes and wanted a manicured look and pick the clippings or leaves up I'd seriously consider a power flo or power pak bagging system with hydralic dump to mount on the tractor and take care of everything in one shot......I don't now what else you use this 4100 for so the KISS principle must prevail here or it won't be fun at all.

Give us an idea what else you use this tractor for as others may have a much better idea for you than a bagging system.

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower?? #4  
I have never owned a flail mower, but from what I have seen I would not trade my mmm for one. I cut an acre in about 30 minutes with my 60" mmm. I have a few trees and buildings and a steep hill on the back of my place.

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower?? #5  
A 84" Flail mower on a 48" wide tractor with 17 pto hp?

This does not sound right to me... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If anything, I would look to upgrade your MMM to a 60" and get a Cyclone, DR, or AgriFab type collection system.

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower?? #6  
I don't think that the 4100 would have enough power to run the 84" flail through anything very heavy.

Once you get the 1 acre under control, I don't think you will have a problem cutting it in 40 minutes with the 54". I think the 4100 with the 54" deck is rated at something over 2 acres per hour. I know with the 60" deck, its 2.5 acres per hour. Theoretically, that means my 1/2 acre of turf should take me 12 minutes, but is probably closer to 25 minutes.

This illustrates something that should help your situation. As you go from say 1/4 acre up, larger areas can be cut in less time-per-acre because there is a lot less turning and overlapping at the ends of rows and your long straight rows can be more optimally overlapped.

As mentioned, you could upgrade to a 60", but for what you would pay for the new deck, I think you would be better off adding some other piece of equipment.

To avoid needing to "pick up" the clippings, four tactics that work good for me:

1. Mow when the grass is dry.

2. Use somethig to hold the outlet chute up slightly so the clippings blow further out. Take care when mowing not to aim the outlet towards anything that could be harmed by a stray rock.

3. re-mow over any objectionable windrows of clippings at max speed (as is safe depending on slope, conditions, etc) with the deck about 1/2" higher than used to do the original cutting. Depending on the original mowing patterm, you typically only have to go back over every other row.

4. Mow twice as often. Yes, this probably pushed your time up over the implied "per week" of 40 minutes, but it will look a lot better than anything else you could do in a single mowing less often.

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower?? #7  
I vote for anything that'll mulch the grass. I've NEVER EVER collected grass cuttings. Use a mulching mower.

Agri Supply has a couple of flail mowers. If you have many shrubs or other items to steer around, the MMM mower is probably easier to do that. They ought to make those items mulchers, for safety if for no other reason.

My Gravely mower always did a better job than my walk-behind regular mulching mower. It wind-rowed less: discharged out the front, like a regular PTO mower discharges out the back. A flail would not windrow at all.

Ralph

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower?? #8  
iv'e mowed with an 84" flail behind an ih574 of my FIL's a lot. it IS HEAVY and bulky. got to be careful around trees and shrubs. i think my b3030 with 72" mmm will mow faster and look better. on the other hand, i wouldn't want to use my mmm in the pastures i regularly take the flail........

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower??
Thanks for the input, I spoke to TRimax and they indicated that the ir 72" would be the one for my tractor. It is approximately 450 pounds, and can cut most stuff with the PTO output of the 4100. They did indicate the 60" wouild be the most optimum, but I did figure that with the 72" flail and my MMM, I can cut anything. The retail price was steep (over $4k), but I figure i could get it cheaper at a dealer. i will check into it.

/ Flail mower or MidMount mower??
Thanks for the input Deere_parts. i use this tractor for:

cutting Grass
Plowing my driveway
Hauling dirt
Digging on occasion
and anything else I can figure it will help
I have the 54" MMM, a 30" Dirt Scoop, a 54" snow blade, and a 46" sweeper.

I have looked at vacuum baggers in the past, but outside of the one JD makes that fits on the tractor, the other ones have you dragging a cart around behind the tractor and that is not too cool with sloped land for me. I did at one point consider the JD unit, but the cost when I checked was way over the mark (4500 or so - way too much, and the noise of two engines kinda stunk too, I also heard that unit had some issues). Anyone here have experience with that unit? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif