Oil & Fuel JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List

/ JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List #1  

burnetma

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5420 MFWD 541 FEL JD X758
I am very disappointed in the fuel system in my new JD 5420 and I am looking for some suggestions and tips.

There are three points where, in my opinion, JD took some short cuts that really degrade the unit.
1. No electric fuel pump to push the fuel uphill from the low mount fuel tank to the fuel filter. Instead the engineers rely on sensitive check valves.
2. No self-purge system. I guess I have been spoiled by my Powerstroke and its system of self-purging. No tools, no mess, no fuss and best of all no time. This JD system requires that you open valves, wrench open the fitting on the fuel return from the main pump and hand pump until it flows smoothly and leaking fuel all over in the process. Just not acceptable, in my opinion.
3. No fuel filter bowl heater. Good anti-gel insurance. I do not like to bet on the quality of my fuel and additive package when it is -20 F or colder. Never gelled up my Powerstroke, but the JD gelled up this morning and it was only -10 F. Oh yeah, I religiously treat my fuel...

JD 110 provided me with a retrofit for an electric fuel pump eliminating item number 1. I am considering replacing the OEM filter assembly with either a RACOR unit or a Stanadyne unit that handles items 2 & 3.

Again, any experience or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List #2  
The reason your PSD is self priming is it has an oil powered, electric fired injector pump on each cylinder. Your JD as a single mechanical injector pump with injectors requiring about 2000psi in each cylinder. The JD filter is not the reason bleeding is required if the system is run dry, the injector pump is.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List #3  
I guess "Are you gellin?" is not cool in this instance. Of course we have no cold weather of the sorts down here. So, I have not ever seen the problems you are reporting.

I know JD sells some diesel fuel additive for cold weather to help prevent gelling. Have you tried this? Don't the refiners change their diesel mix for winter use?

/ JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List
"Gellin' like a Felon". Honestly, it is frustrating. I have never had fuel gell on any of my vehicles before. It was only -10 degrees this time. I have seen -30 F and lower on numerous occasions and have not had an issue with fuel. Yes, frozen batteries a couple of times, but not fuel.

I have moved and now get my fuel from a different distributor. That may play a part in the problem. The fuel is supposedly winterized from the pump, but not sure if they are just cutting it with No. 1 or if they are also adding some additives. I haven't called yet.

The truck didn't gell (thanks to the heater) and the old Ford tractor did not gell. Not sure why? Maybe a more course fuel filter?

Part of the problem may be mine. I discovered that the PowerService Grey bottle is not as effective an anti-gel as the White bottle. Again, always used Grey without issue. I will use White from now on...

All that aside, I would just like to resolve these little issues and I would be 100% satisfied with my new John Deere. My frustration is JD is not really helping me. They have the details on the electric fuel pump, but say they can not help me with the heater or the self-priming kit. I can't be the only person in North America that is concerned about freeze up. I imagine that in the really cold parts of the US and Canada, they do something other than additives. Stanadine sells a kit that does both and I have a call into my local Stanadine dealer, but they have not helped me out yet. I will update the post when information is available.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List
Well, I have two out of three wishes come true today. The JD tech installed an inline electric fuel pump and a electric fuel filter bowl heater on my tractor. Both are required as the electric fuel heater is placed into the top of the filter where the hand prime pump once was. This will hopefully eliminate the loss of prime due to improperly functioning check valves and any chance of fuel gelling.

No more gelling like a felon. I am a happy man.

/ JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List #6  
Lordy, lordy, would I love some part numbers on that retro-fit fuel pump for the 5420. My 5420 (full cab ) has a fuel system that is deplorable! Spent 4 1/2 hours today trying to establish prime via the crappy prime pump which is WORTHLESS!
Could you give me any help on identifying the unit you installed??
Many thanks.

Tom

/ JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List #8  
Your darn right it will help, but so many things in the "corrective" measures do not seem to fit my tractor. It mentions check valves in the line from the tank to the filter. Mine has none. I replaced the supply and return lines yesterday, and from the tank to the filter was one 3/8' line with nothing else. The return line was one piece of 1/4' from behind the muffler to the tank. Where are the unidirectional valves? Where is the strainer? Are they referring to the filter? Is there anything in the tank?
I am positive my "primer pump" is, and has been junk since I bought this tractor new.. I want to replace it with an inline fuel pump. I talked to the local dealer yesterday about the problem, and he made no mention of a "fix." I'll try a different dealer tomorrow now that I'm armed with this info.
The only way I have ever been successful in repriming my system is to pressurize the tank and open the supply line at the injector pump.
MANY thanks for your input.

Tom

/ JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List #9  
The electric fuel pump retro fit will solve the (automatic) purge problem by pushing air out of the system and back to the tank via the return lines.
5420.JPG
I don't see anything from Deere that addresses the heated filter issue.
The in-line strainer is:RE220719
The check valve is:AL117189

Last edited:
   / JD 5420 Fuel Filter - Wish List #10  
I have ordered the fuel pump, and by Tuesday, I should be out of my misery. All this because you spoon fed me the info I needed.
Thank you all.

Tom