Alternator output on #4110

/ Alternator output on #4110 #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
Reading another post apparently the standard alternator will not be adequate for additional lighting. The dealer didn't mention it at purchase time. Does anyone know the specs on both of them? Another friend stated it is not a true alternator but some type of magnetic pulse unit. Now I am confused... Finally, can a small automotive alternator replace the existing unit? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Alternator output on #4110 #2  
The alternator is a 20 amp unit, It is fine for a few lights, just do not go overboard.
JD does offer a 35 amp upgrade, but at $400.00 I will take my chances.

Here is a POST that shows what I am running off of my stock alternator...

/ Alternator output on #4110 #3  
Hi:

I was worried about the same thing. I have a 2305 with a 20 amp (240 watt) alternator. The stock headlights are 35 watts = 70 watts. I added the forward lighting kit (35 watts each), now up to 140 watts. Then I added a 55 watt rear work light - Now up to 195 watts. Even with the lights I'm not counting on (Tail lights, blinkers, dash lights) the alternator light doesn't come on so I'm not discharging the battery. I was worried that I might reduce the charging rate though but I haven't had any issue. I suspect I have about a 36 watt (3 amp) surplus with all the lights running to charge the battery.

I suspect they have a fudge factor or don't include the anticipated charging amperage in the alternator rating which would give you a little more than you think.

I didn't want to pay $400 for the upgrade either if I didn't need it.

/ Alternator output on #4110 #4  
I replaced the permanent magnet alternator on my 2210 with a 50amp nippondenso internally regulated alternator similar to the ones used on the older toyota trucks. It mounted to the existing brackets and belt with only minor electrical modifications. I run the existing tractor headlights plus 2 55watt cab lights and 1, 55watt rear work light, a radio, cab heater blower and a windshield wiper. the total current draw is 33amps. so i still have enough power to charge the battery.

I think you could find a used nippondenso alternator at a local scrap yard and use it for a core on a re-man at Napa for considerably less than $400.00

/ Alternator output on #4110 #5  
Something to keep in mind is that the output of the alternator is higher then 12 volts more like 14 volts so the 20 amp alternator is probably capable of 280 watts.
this is a good link on battery/alternator capacity.

battery

/ Alternator output on #4110
Labrat; Is there any additional wiring required for switching to a nippendenzo (sp) alternator? Did you pick it because of unit size, compatability, or did it just line up properly with the current mount? I'm interested.... tell me more & thanks in advance..

/ Alternator output on #4110 #7  
I stumbled across the ND alternator before it got trashed. it was new and had a V belt pulley so i figured I would try it considering that the ND alternators are common on Japanese engines. luckily it fit perfectly.

The wiring changes i made were i ran a new #8 wire with an inline 50amp fuse from the alternator to the starter stud. Used the red with yellow stripe from the existing regulator as the excite wire for the new alternator. and changed the light wire because the existing charge light is powered when the alt is not charging and the new alt is grounded when not charging.