Mid PTO installed on 990

/ Mid PTO installed on 990 #1  

yellowsocks93

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 990 MFWD and a few others
Well, over the summer I spent 300 bucks to get the last ever BM17995 Mid pto for the 970/1070 and me and my bro put it in my 2003 990. Works great. Now over the summer I just gotta order my mid mount mower and I'll be set. As a note I did have to change out for a 970 roll bar, and will have to weld 2 plates on the front of my frame to accept the front linkage for the mower or buy a 970 frame. The 2 frames are the same except for the 2 pieces welded on the 970 standard. So anyone out there who wants the 990 if you want a mid PTO try to find a BM17995 mid pto and get it. The 990 to 970 conversion lives on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mid PTO installed on 990 #2  
I didn't think you could put a mid PTO on a 990 at all. Did they change this on the newer ones (I've got a 2004 model)? Not that I need or want a mid PTO, but I just didn't think my machine could accommodate one at all.

/ Mid PTO installed on 990 #3  
"I spent 300 bucks to get the last ever BM17995 Mid PTO for the 970/1070"

I'm kind of surprised one can install a mid-PTO on the 990 too, since it's not an option on the 990.

As far as the "last ever" kit...I doubt if that is correct since Deere is so good at keeping parts for the older tractors in stock. The 970/1070 series machines aren't that old (1997 or 1998 was the last year of production).

/ Mid PTO installed on 990 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
"As far as the "last ever" kit...I doubt if that is correct since Deere is so good at keeping parts for the older tractors in stock. The 970/1070 series machines aren't that old (1997 or 1998 was the last year of production). "
)</font>

The OP is correct; this kit is officially obsolete. I checked with my dealer awhile back, & found they no longer offer it. There is probably a few kits out in dealer stock somewhere, though, if your willing to search for it. I just bought a kit for my 970 from a person that advertised in this forum. I'm not sure if I am going to use it, but I bought it in case I decide to go with a mid-mount mower, and since they are no longer available, I thought I'd better pick it up.

The individual parts for the kit are still available. However, it would probably cost you about $1,000 for the parts if bought this way.

Jeff

/ Mid PTO installed on 990
My dealer did check before I got mine and said that this was the last one in the Deere warehouse. I was not sure if it was going to go in but I took the chance because my tractor is almost identical to our 970. I have to wait until summer until my funds replenish to complete my project. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I can no longer stand the rear finish mower for all the cutting I do.

If yours has the horizonal exhaust the motor is different than mine as well as many other parts according to the parts catalog. They did change the location of the MFWD shift from its original location down to by the floor. I'll see if I can post some pics here soon.

/ Mid PTO installed on 990 #7  
Well, that's interesting... I usually manage to learn something or other nearly every time I log onto TBN. You installed a mid-mount PTO for a 970 into your 990. (I wonder what else would fit or work from the different platforms?) Anyway, I've been casting about trying to learn a thing or three about the different mower types and whether a mid mount might be something I should consider for my 970. Sounds like I won't need to spend a whole lot of time trying to track down the parts... likely not available and would likely cost as much as a good 3pt mount rotary cutter -- then -- I'd have to get my hands on the mid-mower to boot. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif AKfish

Yes, get the mid mount for your 970. I also have a 1992 JD 970 with the mid PTO/mid mount 72" deck. Has about 830 hrs on it thus far and no problems. I have a JD 272 RFM now for the 990 and while it cuts good, the 970 cuts better and is a lot easier to manuever around in our apple orchard. I do like how it is easy to clean the bottom of the RFM but taking the mid mount off is not that hard to do just that the mower would be kinda heavy to lift if there is no one to help you turn it over. I would check out the mid mower as your first option after using both for quite some time now, just my opinion.

/ Mid PTO installed on 990 #9  
I stand corrected on the availability of the mid-PTO kit for the 970...kind of surprising, but there you go...

Yellowsocks, as far as flipping your mid mower...that's what you've got a loader for (you do have a loader on one of your tractors, don't you?)

I had an opportunity to operate a 970 over the Christmas holiday. Nice machine!!! Since it's pretty close to my 790 (tranny's completely different, but otherwise the layout is similar), it was a short learning curve.

Wish I could justify a tractor that big...wife would kill me though!

I do have a loader never thought about doing that, may have to try it! Both are nice machines, and since they look so similar your wife may not even tell the difference if you traded in.