4520, what's cooking here???

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
4520, what\'s cooking here???

Fellow Posters,

A quick question to the group: my 4520, which now has 28 hours on it, blows a huge amount of diesel smoke out when starting, and acts as if it does not want to run for about ten seconds, then smoothes out. Once warm, it runs fine. I have also had a problem with the "air restriction" warning light flashing on the dash, but this occurs ONLY WHEN WARM, not correlating with the events above. I have tried all logical things that my small mind can think of: I have preheated; done cetane boost/fuel treatment; checked fuel filter and water separator and found nothing. The air intake light seems to be erroneous, as there is no restriction, and the filter is new (the sensor was replaced, and it still comes on). First, is any likely damage going on here, and second, how do I fix this? The dealer is stumped too, despite two trips they still are mystified, but have witnessed the occurence. I do realize some initial starup smoke is normal, but having started a fair number of the 4020's; this is by far the most prominent. Thank you all.

John M

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #2  
Re: 4520, what\'s cooking here???

John don't feel so bad , Mine has done this ruff and heavy smoking start since day one! I test drove a 4720 before ordering my 4320 and it didn't do it. It would smoke a little and rev up. Mine will barely run and will almost stall and bellow out gobs of smoke for the first 10-20 seconds and then its fine. The dealer had my tractor about 6 weeks for being way under powered and smoking . They got that fixed and I was hoping they would have fixed the barely running at start up problem as well but they swear its normal.Now mine after 60 hours is leaking a lot of battery acid down the front of the tractor and my fuel gauge is not working correctly. It says I have a quater tank when its almost full. I love the tractor to death but I have had more than my share of problems with it.

Jim

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #3  

I have a 4320 with 24 hours on it. There is a lot of smoke on initial startup [black] and for about 10-30 seconds thereafter [white-blue]. As you said it seems like the engine wants to die, but I assume the electronics take over [???] and keep it running. My dealer says this is normal. After the initial period the engine runs fine, without smoke or even that much smell. I have not had any problems with the machine otherwise.

What I have noticed is on JD's website they have a video of the removal procedure for the front end loader, where the 4020 series is started a couple of times, and that tractor puffs out some smoke as well. I figure that if this wasn't OK then Deere wouldn't be posting it for all to see. Still, competitor's tractors do not smoke like this.

I'd like to know what the deal is, with both colors of smoke. I believe that in NJ, visible exhaust smoke on your OTR truck will get you pulled over and summonsed. It is too easy for someone to say that all diesels do that, when many modern engines in fact don't.

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #5  

My 4720 always blows a puff of black smoke at start up. When it is cold (below like 40 degrees) or so it doesn't like to run either, but a hit of the glow plugs fixes that. Push the key in activates the glow plugs.

It also blows the puff of black smoke even when it is warm.

D.

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #6  

My 4720 does the same thing, a huge amount of smoke and rough idling for the first 5 - 1o seconds. After that, it runs like a beast with no problems at all. I also had the problem with the battery acid. The dealer replaced the battery but that didn't fix the problem. They had to replace the alternator because it was over charging the battery.

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #7  

I can carbon copy MidGaLandscaper,except,my battery also leaked acid, but the top of the battery separated at the seal, this happened w/10 hrs.

Mike

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #8  

Do you have any pics of the problem? I am thinking I have battery issues - I saw some rust up front on my 4720.

D.

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #9  

Yep if you see rust up front under the battery, more than likely your battery is leaking. Take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. Make sure they scrape off all the rust and repaint it.

/ 4520, what's cooking here??? #10  

ddivinia,The battery leakage was obvious,i don't have any pictures but you could see where the top of the battery sealed to the rest of the case separated. They actually gave me the bottom plate that the battery sits on,and a new battery .I now have 40 hrs. wiht no problems yet.
Mike