Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #11  
Turbo,
I agree with you 100% with what you said about including the manuals with the purchase of tractors and vehicles, I REALLY agree on the inclusion of OS disks with the purchase of a new PC, I have been bitten by that also.

But I just do not agree with this statement:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Give him a break, the price of your manual is not based on the number of illegal copies made rather it is set by some marketing putz that doesn't have a clue. )</font>

He is putting offers to give bootleg copies of copyrighted material in a public forum.

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Overall pretty good but unfortunately the wiring diagrams are not accurate; wiring on the machine is different the manual states; colors do not match. )</font>

While I have not done extensive electrical troubleshooting on my tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, The few things I have looked up were dead on. Where did you find the errors?

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #13  
Turbo,

Well said. Yet another tractor cop trying to slame someone for trying to help another. Sorry but I am really holding back on this one.

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #14  
Kennyd: Noticed the problem when I was working on the seat switch; all of the harness side wiring (4 wires) actually on the tractor use different colors than that called out in the manual.

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #15  
Turbo, and Millsnhills,

Are you guys serious??? Bootlegging copies of software (or anything else) is STEALING. It's wrong, and it costs US money..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jonesiera, I believe you are just trying to help, but IMO you should probably re-think this.

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #16  
Jomo,

I am not arguing that fact rather the tact Ken took in handling it. I IM'd him and as you yourself can see from looking at
jonesiera 's profile the gentlemens age is 73. Now bootlegging may mean something entirely different to him /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif no offense Bob.

I spend more time reading on this board than replying but I do try to research and think about responses. If I strongly disagree with someone I tend to IM them instead of putting it in a public forum. I don't think that is why people come and post hear to have personal arguments rather share and ask for advice. It is a Tractor forum. I have seen some real good contributors on this board up and disappear just because of what I just mentioned.

Again, I am not disagreeing with you JOMO and not trying to clobber Ken but before posting a personal note which comes off like calling someone a criminal at least look at their profile and IM them to see if they understand it.

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #17  
JD charging for info to repair something that you just spent $20- $30,000 is stealing. JD spends about $1.00 per disc making them up and it wasnt good enough that you already own one of their products...they have to charge you to figure out how to correct problems it will have. The discs should be free and included when you buy the unit...but that could potentially take away from the service dept. making $ and JD would'nt want that.
Also, why would a fellow JD tractor owner turn in another for trying to help us out /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #18  
Millsnhills,

Thank you for the well thought out advice, I am somewhat new to the whole forum concept. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bryant1313,

I appreciate and feel your pain when it comes to overpriced goods and services from large corporations. That said, I am not sure you fully appreciate the magnitude of the copyrighted/trademarked theft issue. It literally costs us hundreds of millions of dollars across all segments of our economy. While it may seem innocent enough to copy one disc, that's how it starts, and it is stealing.

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #19  
First off if I personally need a copy of something I buy it, but your statement that bootlegging is costing us millions is simply overblown, as I said before the cost of producing the product doesn't determine the price rather the market and thoes that control it do , if JD could charge $500 and get away with it they would. We are not talking about a commercial venture here, just two tractor nuts trying to help each other out. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I would be more sympathetic to the poor corporations if they would buy back the CD when I was done getting the info I should have got with the tractor. I don't know how many times I've bought parts and accessories from JD and other large Corporations only to find out the documentation was wrong for my model or version and had to spend my time figuring it out. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Technically illegal? Yes. The end of western civilization? Hardly.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Service / Repair manual (cd) on E-Bay for 4100 ser #20  
Wow,
all very interesting thoughts,, and I'm not going to get into the middle of it!

But,
what are your thoughts on a customer asking the dealer for help with a service issue,, and asking for copies of schematics, or diagrams, or pages from the service manual?
Should it be provided free of charge? There is time involved by dealership personel, and some resources, so is it wrong to ask for a fee for tech advise? How many tractor owners can request a copy of something out of a manual from the dealership they bought the tractor from and get it no questions asked?
And, what about asking a dealer where you didn't buy a machine from, or do any service with? Is that expected of the dealership?

I'd be interested in hearing what folks ideas are on this stuf...

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif