Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow?

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow? #1  

Oleozz

Veteran Member
Tractor
International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader
I have an 870, mfwd, turf tires, do you think I can pull a 3 pt hitch, two bottom, 12 inch plow, with coulter kit and depth gauge? I am also interested in using a 7 shank, 5 ft. field cultivator, any problems using it? My soil is somewhat flinty and these would be used for wildlife food plots, each one about one fourth acre in size. Thanks for any help.

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow? #2  
All depends - - it will pull it but the ground and your tire traction will determine how deep you can plow.
But yes, it will pull it. Whether satisfactorily, there is no way to know that until you give it a shot. Two 12-inch bottoms isn't much. I'd like to see a picture of that, if you can get one.

Same goes for the field cultivator. No question you can pull it. The only question is if it will go deep enough to do any good. Always can pull off a couple of the shanks if need be.

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow? #3  
You might want to consider adding chains to the rear tires for traction. I have a JD4310 with loaded R4 tires and and pull a 2-14 plow. I do a lot of tire spinning from time to time. I can't imagine you pulling a 2 bottom with turfs without a lot of spinning.

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow? #4  
You will not be able to pull that plow on ground which has not been plowed previously with the turf tires. I would get another set of rear rims and R1's.

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow?
Thanks for the advice so far, I was concerned about these turf tires. Looks like I might have to buy some ag tires, are the R2's a lot better for traction than the R1's? I'm sure there must be a big price difference between the 1's and 2's?

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow? #6  
I think it will depend a lot on the type of soil you have. If your in heavy clay a two
bottom 12" plow would be a hard pull for the 870. In lighter sandy soil you might
do alright. As for the tires, it's more important that they be loaded then their type...

I have a J.D. 790 which is similar in size, weight and HP as the 870. The biggest
limiting factor for my 790 is weight, not engine power..

The old timers had a rule of thumbs, 1 hp and 125 lb for every inch of plow. Not
saying you couldn't do it with less but this was ideal for best performance so they
said. Again your type of soil makes a big difference...

Richard
West Michigan...

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow? #7  
I'd weigh the expense of those ag tires (just to plow) against buying a tiller to do those plots. I think a few passes with a tiller would work up the ground for plots, and have a lot of other uses as well. The ag tires may just have a single purpose and add a lot of expense. Just an idea.

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow?
Our soil is rocky, I had thought about a tiller but was concerned about the rocks tearing it up. I was told that tillers are high maintenance, especially with hard use?

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow? #9  
I have also heard the "old timers" rule about plow size. Those old tractors were always known by their PTO HP though, instead of engine HP.
2 x 12" bottom plow = should use tractor with >24 PTO HP.
3 x 14" bottom plow = " " " " >42 PTO HP.
Even though PTO has nothing to do with plow pulling, it just fits for a good simple formula.

/ Will my 870 pull a 2 bottom plow? #10  
I had an 870 with R1 tires loaded. I had a single bottom 14" plow 3PH. The best it could do was four or five inches deep and even then you had to be on the hydraulic lever all the time to keep the wheels from spinning out. I would fill the loader bucket half full of gravel to get the front wheels some traction and this would help. I don't think two twelves would pull any easier. I wound up with a five foot tiller which it handled just fine.