J D 855 won't start

/ J D 855 won't start
Re: J D 855 won\'t start

Normde2001,

Pulling an injector and looking at the spray pattern is also a great idea. All kinds of knowledge and creative thinking at Tractorbynet. It never ceases to amaze me.

/ J D 855 won't start #13  

Pulling and testing the spray pattern is the best suggestion so far. I think in this case there is something in the fuel system still causing this. However you are getting some fuel as indicated by the white smoke (which is actually injector atomized diesel). I normally say stay totally away from ether but in this case I would see if it will run on ether. Just a shot or 2 to get it going then a couple more if it starts to see if you can get it running for a few seconds.

You should also check the injection pump timing. Rare that it jumps butit has happened. Fuel in the cylinder at the wrong time would produce this.

Sitting here I just can't believe it's the bottom end. I've seen them run pretty bad. The pics are from my BIL's jd350 crawler I've rebuilt. Number 2 mostly gone (parts of rings missing) and #3 totally wasted. All this and I was using it to push a pad for the garage. sounded bad, little power but it was working on 1.5 cylinders. No problem in the 1 mile crawl to get to my house and back.

Good Luck and keep us posted..

Attachments

• 813854-dozer-001.JPG
    813854-dozer-001.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 240
   / J D 855 won't start #14  

pic #2

Attachments

• 813856-dozer-002.JPG
    813856-dozer-002.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 241
   / J D 855 won't start

Rob J,

Those pictures are pretty bad. I think my bottom end is OK. No pun intended!

I'm going out of town on business for a week and I only access the tractor on weekends, so it may take a while, but I'll definitely let you know what I find.

/ J D 855 won't start #16  

I know about the weekend acess only, same here. I try and build things during the week, then take up. Next is a front bumper. I have the 3" channel, support brackets, holes drilled. But I can't weld because I don't have the proper measurements. I thought of it after my last weekend trip...bummer

Good Luck with it.

/ J D 855 won't start #17  

Dennis, I hate to say it, but I suspect you are correct in looking at compression. I have seen alot of these small diesels do exactly what you are describing. They might run great at 380 psi compression, but they wont even start if all cylinders drop below 350. Larger engines like Rob's 350 crawler can run great at 250 psi. It will start a little hard but will run well. I am not sure why this is the case, but I suspect the indirect type of fuel injection has something to do with it. I would look hard at the air filter, filter housing and intake hoses to see if there was any place dirt could have been getting in. Also be sure to check the cooling system. One bad overheating episode can cause a failure like this also. Good Luck!

/ J D 855 won't start #18  

its in the eletric fuel pump you have to pull the pump apart to
get to it. The book does not show it. My brother has a Deere skid steer fuel pump stoped working,bought a new one started rite up. Later took the old pump apart filter was plugged, same pump as mine.

/ J D 855 won't start

I finally got it started. Between my work schedule and the tractor remote location it took a long time.

I talked to a Deere mechanic and he suggested either or using a gasoline soaked rag over the air intake to see if it will run momentarily. If it will, it confirms adequate compression, mechanical integrity, and will help purge any air that may be in the system.

After disconnecting the air heater to prevent a fire, I tried a little either (probably not enough) but it didn't fire. I then clamped a rag over the air intake and squirted it with gasoline where the air would pass through it. With fire extinguisher poised and ready, I then cranked and it started in about 5 seconds and ran for 15 or so. After it ran I noticed an air bubble in the filter glass that had not been there before.

I retightened the glass, bled the filter and started it with gas again and let it run for 20 seconds until it was smooth. I then removed the rag and it started and ran fine on its own. Apparently, I had been sucking air all the time. It wasn't leaking fuel, just sucking air and it didn't create the bubble until it actually ran.

Live and learn.

Thanks again for all of the fine advice.

/ J D 855 won't start #20  

I would never use ether in my diesel. Its just not worth it, you can ruin one with it. Its not hard to get too much, and with the compression a diesel has it is just looking for bad trouble.