JD 4310 front wheel seals leaking

/ JD 4310 front wheel seals leaking #1  

disco

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310 & JD 4020
My 2 year old 4310 has had the front left wheel seal replaced at about 250 hours (covered by JD)and now my right front wheel seal is leaking. Only has 297 hours on it. Its never been overly worked hard. Of course the warranty has expired. Has anyone else out there had the same problem?
Thanks Paul

/ JD 4310 front wheel seals leaking #2  
Yup, I've had it happen on my 4200HST, twice it happened. It was an $8.00 seal that needed to be replaced on them. Labor of course was a little more expensive. I had mine fixed about a year ago, it is a very simple problem. My seal got a little dry, and also the dealer told me to always make sure you have the proper ballast on the back of your machine if you do plenty of loader work. I want to say it was about $65.00 to get it fixed. Not a big deal. If it is a very slow leak like mine was, you can still use your tractor, just got a few messy spots on the garage floor, so I had to lay down some cardboard til' I got it fixed. A little oil shows up a lot. Not the end of the world or nothing.

My advice: Get them both replaced at the same time, save on labor costs. It's not a whole lot of money.

/ JD 4310 front wheel seals leaking
Both times it happened I heard a grinding noise then the leak. I have my ballast box filled with cement. I thought I would pull it apart this spring. To cold right now.
Thanks for the reply

/ JD 4310 front wheel seals leaking #4  
My 4300 had the same problem on the right seal, but it was because some horse tail hair got wound up into the seal and cut it. Not an expensive fix, not hard to do, and not too much time to do it. If you need more help let me know i can send you some instructions but it is easy to do even without. Good luck. Owen.

/ JD 4310 front wheel seals leaking
Thanks for the reply! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif