3120 vr 3520 digging power with bucket

/ 3120 vr 3520 digging power with bucket #1  

roermo

Gold Member
Tractor
4110 JD
Have a question about the 3120 verses the 3520 and hp verses traction.

I have a 4110 now and when trying to dig a mixture of clay and top soil I can spin out before coming to a dead stop from lack of power.

I am going to step up to 20 line of tractors but which one.

Example: 1
3120 might lug down and lose power

Example 2

3520 might spin out before it would stop digging.

What is the happy medium?

Or what causes this.

My old 400 model tractor would stall out or stop going forward when digging
My 4110 spins out.

Since both 3120 and 3520 weigh the same. What could a person except between the 3120 or the 3520.

I guess what I am asking is on the large models is there more hp than needed to power the tractor and bucket through the dirt. And could I save money by going with the 3120.

I have mounds of dirt to move into low spots the 4110 can do this but I will also need to ability to skim the surface for leveling for my new garage. Then across the street I have an acre of ground that is hilly ( 1 large valley) I want to clear and maintain. Lots of trees mulch from 50 years of dead trees and stuff that need to be shoved around and cleaned up.

Thanks

Roger the ever dreaming of larger tractor guy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 3120 vr 3520 digging power with bucket #2  
Assuming you get the eHydro models, the 3120 and 3520 are going to perform very similar while digging. The Load Match feature when turned on prevents the tractor engine from stalling and works on both models. You will be able to spin your wheels in A range always and B range usually. In C range the hydrostatic transmission will go over relief and stop the wheels from moving under heavy pushing.

The higher HP 3520 will shine over the 3120 if you need to really need to get some power to a PTO driven attachement or have to drive up hills in C range.

/ 3120 vr 3520 digging power with bucket #3  
I think for what you are doing the 3120, would perform pretty good for what you are doing. I would say it would have plenty of loader operating power.

My way of thinking is: if you think the 3120 will do a good job, then settle for the 3320. Because it's better to get a little more than what you need, because who knows what the future will bring. You might need some PTO power down the road. Besides, you will have a better machine to sell later on, (more people want tractors over 30HP than Less than 30HP)... so at least you have a wider market to sell to. There isn't much of a cost difference there. Besides the HP in the 3320 is a very good power to size ratio for this class of tractor.

However, I have to admit, the turbo is nice! if you can swing it, go for the 3520! But, really I think the 3320 is a great compromise. Ehydro is pretty hard to stall with LoadMatch.

/ 3120 vr 3520 digging power with bucket #4  
I used my 3320 with 300cx loader to repair my washed out gravel driveway last fall. I moved and spread 20 yards of 4"minus sub base and 40 yards of 1.5" crushed gravel. Never stalled (loadmatch works) and was traction limited pushing into the pile as opposed to power limited. (I do have loaded tires and a weight box).
Overall the combo of the 3320, 300cx, HD 73" bucket did a fine job with this unplanned task. You would need more HP only if there are large PTO driven implements in your plans.
As for 3120 vs 3320, the 3320 is not much more in cost and is about an 11% increase in engine displacement and torque.

/ 3120 vr 3520 digging power with bucket #5  
There was a discussion I mentioned to start about this same question in owning and operating. Check it out, there were many responses.

John M