Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck

/ Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck #1  

danbike

Silver Member
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif OK, let's see if I can describe this in a way that makes sense to those with more experience. I have an X585 with a 54" MMM for the summer and a Quick Hitch and Blade for the winter.

The dealer has told me it's not a good idea to leave the MMM on all year. He has also told me that they recommend pulling the hitch in the summer along with the blade.

It really is not a difficult job and pulling the mower gives me a good chance to clean it and replace the blades.

I saw a note from another user of the MB that showes an X585 being delivered with both the Quick Hitch/Blade and the MMM installed.

What are the pros and cons of pulling the hitch in the spring and reinstalling it in the fall? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck #2  
Removing the quick hitch removes weight.

Also, if you have the snowblower front PTO shaft installed, I think the quick hitch has to be removed to remove the PTO shaft.

The X series must be slightly different than my 4100. On my 4100, the front quick hitch hangs on the same mounting points as the MMM. You can't leave it on and put the MMM on at the same time.

- Rick

/ Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck #3  
Danbike: I have a 455 with the front quick hitch, blade and a MMM. I leave the front hitch/blade on all the time except for the odd time I want to mulch leaves in the Fall. The MMM will not attach unless the front quick hitch is removed and the front pto shaft also removed. I believe the X series is the same way. As far as "weight" is concerned, do not concern yourself as the front axle assembly is very beefy and you are straining anything. If you had a front bucket full of gravel etc and were going to leave this on all the time then I would say you were not doing the front end any good IMHO.

Brian

/ Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck #4  
As you know, the quickhitch comes off the X-series within a minute, so personally and in my application, I would see no reason to leave that on a machine through the mowing season.

Taking the deck off during the winter, I think that's a good move. Not sure of you shed setup for this unit, but I would take the deck off in the fall, clean adjust/grease everything and let it sit until Spring. The one thing I would fear most about leaving a deck on during the winter is unwanted moisture/snow/water in areas I don't want them and then freezing and possibly damaging other components.

/ Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck
Once again, good points from the members of this group.

Thanks.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck #6  
That was one change between the 425-455 tractors and the X series... you could physically install both the mmm and the front quick hitch at the same time. (they changed the mounting points of the quick hitch). technically, they both
can be on the tractor and function.. and using the mower deck height setting you can pretty much lock the deck up in a high position for using the blade.
now, whether it is a good idea to do that regurlarly, is another question. i agree that it may not be good for the mower to have the snow sit there, melt on warmer days,, and freeze, especially around the pulleys etc. as far as mowing, the only drawback is maneuverability with the blade or hitch on the front.. but being only a minute to remove them, i guess that is up to you whether you do it or not.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck #7  
My point about removing the weight is that for mowing, you want the machine as light as possible to reduce compaction and any chance of ruts or tracking. I wouldn't be concerned at all about wear and tear on the front axle.

- Rick

/ Quick Hitch and Plow / MMM Deck #8  
I have the same set-up (X585, 62MMM, blade/quick hitch) and took the MMM off for winter just 'cause I think it'll go better in the snow with it off (less drag) and don't want it to get rusty. Summertime, I expect to leave the hitch and hydraulics on, but take the blade itself off.