Trouble starting JD 4210 4wd

/ Trouble starting JD 4210 4wd #1  

PaulH

I own a JD 4210 4wd w/HST. It has about 1800 hrs on it, and I got it used (came with the farm) about 2 yrs ago, but it's in very good shape -- has seen only light use and is stored in a garage. I use it for light utility work around my place -- front loader, a rear snow blade for the clearing the driveway, plus I do a bit of moving a hay wagon around. One thing I could always say was, this one always started right up w/no trouble, even in very cold weather (I live in Wisconsin).

Yesterday for the first time, it wouldn't start. It turned over 3 or 4 times, but a little more sluggish than normal, but I didn't think much about it at first, because it was cold (12 degrees). Then suddenly it cut out and started going "rat-a-tat-a-tat" real fast, almost like a real loud industrial sewing machine sounds. I immediately let go the key. I repreated this 3 or 4 times, and it got progressively worse (fewer cranks before it cuts out). The last time, it cut out almost right away.

The battery is fine -- I checked fluid levels, cleaned off the terminals and clamps, and checked the charge. Also, the headlights are nice and bright when I turn them on.

I'm wondering, is my starter broken? I'm reluctant to call my JD dealer because every time I do, it seems like it costs me big-time.

Thanks for your help.

/ Trouble starting JD 4210 4wd #2  
i would try replacing the battery. it could be getting weak! i would try and get one with more cold cranking amps. and also check the alt, to make sure its charging. good luck !

/ Trouble starting JD 4210 4wd #3  
If I'm understanding you noise description right. Does it sound like a fast clicking sound? If so, most likely, you either have a weak battery or a bad battery cable connection somewhere.

/ Trouble starting JD 4210 4wd #4  
Clean all wire connections going to the starter solnoid and
all connections on the battery. There should be a small wire and 2 heavy cables on the solnoid. Problems like this are sometimes caused by not enough electrical power to hold the
heavy contacts in; so they start to dance and that is the
rat-tat-tat you hear. Seen problems like this before and solved it this way. Be sure solonid is grounded good also
Good Luck

/ Trouble starting JD 4210 4wd #5  
I had the same problem with my 4210. I cleaned/checked the terminals and connections and charged the battery to no avail. A new battery solved the problem even though the old one checked okay.

/ Trouble starting JD 4210 4wd #6  
If you don't replunish the water in the battery, they won't last more than 2 years. Clean terminals very very good. If that doesn't do it, get a new battery if you havn't been taking care of the one you have.

/ Trouble starting JD 4210 4wd #7  
If changing the battery doesn't help, try checking all the fuses.
I have a 4200 which was cranking but not starting. The problem was fixed when I checked the fuses and found several that had shaken loose. Same kind of scenario, backed the tractor into the shop, running perfectly, then later it wouldn't start,
. I tried all the usual things, nothing worked until I pushed in all the fuses. No problems since. Might be worth a try since it's such a simple thing to do.

lekwyo