JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE #1  

MARTIN65

Tractor
JOHN DEERE 4210
I have had 2 transmission input shafts fail. The first one at 125hrs. the second one at 430hrs. The tractor is a 2002 4210. The dealer had told me both time the problem was fixed. Has anyone else had any problems like this?

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2  
Welcome to the forum.
Any indication of what the 'failure' was and what caused the failure? Bearing? broken? Under warranty?
Have not heard of it before, until now.
HST tractor?

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE #3  
First, welcome to the board, sorry your first post is bad news.

I think this is the first instance we've heard of on TBN. To be honest, I don't remember hearing of this particular problem on any tractor of any brand. Seems like an unusual place for a failure. Perhaps a bad relief valve on the HST? Can you give us a little more info?

Cliff

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE
Sorry for the lack of info. The tractor is HST. The splines of the input shaft were stripped off and the splines in the damper were stripped out. After the first failure the complete transmission was replaced. John Deere has covered both repairs, but it takes 9-11 weeks for the transmission to come and and the repair to be completed

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE #5  
I don't know, that's for sure. But my first impression is damage possible during initial assembly the first time, and not an adequate and complete repair job, causing the second failure. No other explanation of a failure of splines. Sorry to hear about the long overhaul time.
Is this a large shop that is very busy, or a small shop that cannot keep up? Seems it would be one or the other, and no good excuse unless Deere is questioning the warranty and no one wants to take the step to fix until Deere is finalized a decision.
But as I said, really I do not know. Its unusual, from what 'little' I know.

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE #6  
<font color="blue"> but it takes 9-11 weeks for the transmission to come and and the repair to be completed </font>

So much for ovenight part delivery.

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The splines of the input shaft were stripped off and the splines in the damper were stripped out.)</font>

It seems more likely that the shaft would snap before being able to strip both members. That would take a lot of torque (binding) to strip a splined shaft. I could see a keyed shaft breaking the key and then damaging the shaft and it's mating surface, but the reason for splines is to increase the surface contact area, thus increasing its torque rating (strength). Then I would say maybe it was a heat treating error, but that would most likely be just one member being stripped if it somehow got through its manufacturing process without being hardened and the chances of it happening to both members twice is truely unlikely. This is a very odd situation that seems like it should be investigated to prevent future failures.

Lots of people here that have seen different situations, I haven't heard of this, but maybe someone has. Please let us know what they find and welcome to the forum.

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE #8  
<font color="blue"> It seems more likely that the shaft would snap before being able to strip both members </font>

I seen one strip on the shaft going into the front axle on a JD 4400 4 x 4. It was the 1st time I ever seen it happen. If I had a digital camera I would show you the picture.

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE #9  
<font color="blue"> ( The splines of the input shaft were stripped off and the splines in the damper were stripped out.) </font>
I have seen a close tolerance shaft that was stripped and it damaged the mating splines to where you would think that they were stripped. They were actually damaged that bad by the lost splines.

/ JOHN DEERE TRANSMISSION FAILURE
The shop is not a large dealer but they are, I would say average size. Most of the delay in the repair is waiting for the transmission. The dealer didn't seem very interested in finding out why the failures accured. In the middle of the last repair the dealership changed hands, and the new owners, which have another dealership, seem a lot more eager to dig in and find a cause. I will post more if I learn of any more details. Thanks for the feedback on this and other subjects. This forum is a great help in shopping for and researching tractor information.