Snow Not the usual snow blade post/question

/ Not the usual snow blade post/question #1  

jdgreg

Gold Member
After spending several hours in the seat pushing snow around this weekend, it has become apparent my lower back issues are forcing me to look at alternatives, as I cant continue to keep turning around pushing snow with the 3ph scraper blade going in reverse.

I push snow backwards in reverse when it gets above 6-8". Then to cleanup, or if there's a lesser snow fall amount, I'll turn the blade around and pull it (yeah, I know, like it's supposed to be used /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) The FEL gets used for drifts, or when it's too deep to push it out of the way going backward.

This routine has served me well for the past 18yrs.

Hopefully my questions are a little different. I think I've read practically every thread about snow blades/plows, so hopefully this isnt going to be too redundant. I'm also aware there's probably just as many folks that dont like FEL mounted snow blades are there are those that do, and good reasons both ways.

So my questions (finally, sorry) are for any 4210 (or comparable CUT) folks that have a Curtis like FEL snow blade. How well does it work? Are you glad you have it? If not, would you sell it ? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Seems this would save the lower back pain, and still be able to quickly swap from the blade to the bucket if needed.

FWIW, My driveway is all paved, with a chip/tarred common driveway that I also help maintain.

/ Not the usual snow blade post/question #2  
Have you considered a swivel seat for your tractor? I made my factory seat into a swivel seat because of my back problems and plowing in reverse. It would be alot cheaper than a front loader setup especially if you only use it on your driveway. Just a Thought

/ Not the usual snow blade post/question #3  
Greg,
I just sold a used Curtis blade to a customer in my town that has a kubota L3410 tractor. He had the bucket on his fel , and a rear
snowblower, but wasn't thrilled with the performance of either. His business is a funeral home, and he has a medium sized paved parking lot, with driveways around front and sides of his building. His complaint with the bucket was it was too sloppy,, spilled over the sides. The snowblower never really worked right,, and broke several shear bolts. (not sure why). Also, it required him operate in reverse a lot, which was uncomfortable.
He needs to have his lot cleaned very thoroughly, as he is concerned with liability issues of somebody falling.
I took him a blade to use,, and he loved it. It cleans his pavement very well, so the sun dries it quickly. It's much easier to drive forward, and broadcast to the side, then back up and do it again. From what I saw, he was "extremely" happy with this setup compared to the snowblower or bucket on his FEL.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Not the usual snow blade post/question #4  
Best I can tell you is your back will love it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
If you have not seen my my 6 1/2' Curtis blade take a look at it in TBN photos. Click Here There are other photos in my gallery of it. I have had mine for 6 seasons with no problems. With the your FEL and Valve you should have no problems hooking one up. I have sent you a PM.
Your question is not so unusual. Here is a thread on the same subject. Click Here Do a search on Front Blade and Curtis Blade. You will get a lot of hits.

/ Not the usual snow blade post/question #5  
Pic of my solution. Best way to go, IMO. Others have their "best way to go" as well.

Attachments

• 825018-plowpic1.JPG
    825018-plowpic1.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 414
   / Not the usual snow blade post/question
I thought about it, and read a post on this mod (maybe yours?). But not comfortable with the awkard position relative to the controls this might put me in. I have a total of about 2k' of driveways, so a blade wount be a bad investment, if the price is right.
Thanks

Thanks Ron, got your PM, will check it out. Seen your posts/pics before, every time I do I get green with envy (pun not intended).
Thanks

/ Not the usual snow blade post/question #8  
What's actually needed is a sort of rotatable snow blade/FEL combo. Use the FEL for tight spots around garages and turnaround/parking areas and a snow blade out front for just straight driveway. The big 5' snow blade on my Gravely worked great for the driveway but was lacking for around the garage area. The FEL is much better for this area. A rear FEL with snow blade out front would work, too. The rear FEL would be like a box blade with a hydraulic dump but would need to lift higher than a typical 3 ph lift.

So, the ideal tool just doesn't exist. It's sorta like for plowing. The ideal tool would be 2 rotary plows (like Gravely ones) driven off the PTO and adjustable for width apart, tilt, etc. These could be used for both plowing and making raised rows.

Ralph

/ Not the usual snow blade post/question #9  
jdgreg,

FYI. Deere doesn't make (of course if handy you can make something) a front quickhitch/blade for the 4210, so the front blade on the loader may be your best "factory" option for that machine. I suspect, the cost for new is going to kill around 2K, new for a set up.

Yeah, I know. Seems the only true "Plug & Play" setup is from Curtis, but like you said, $$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

May just keep my eyes out for something local. I can weld a little, and smart enough to take it to the welder if it's beyond my capabilites /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks