BioDiesel in my 3720?

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #1  

Buckie2

I just bought ten gallons of biodiesel from my local Exxon. Brought it home and thought, before I pour this stuff in my brand new 3720, I better double check. Is this fuel OK? The Exxon pump had a sign that read the fuel could be used in any diesel engine without any modification, but........
help, please. the good advice from smart people on this forum has saved me more than once! thanks, Buckie

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #2  
From JD's WEB Site:

Biodiesel fuels may be used in John Deere diesel engines only if the fuel meets the provisional ASTM PS121 (U.S.) specifications. However, there are several important issues to consider before using a biodiesel fuel for your John Deere equipment.

The term "Biodiesel" describes the various fuels collectively known as Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME). The most common source of biodiesel is soybeans in the U.S. and Rape Seed in Europe. Biodiesel maybe referred to by a number of more specific terms, the most common being:

Soybean Methyl Ester (SOME)
Rape Methyl Ester (RME)
Plant Methyl Ester (PME)

NOTE: Raw pressed vegetable oils are NOT acceptable for use for fuel in any concentration. These oils do not burn completely, and will cause engine failure by leaving deposits on injectors and in the combustion chamber.

While a major environmental benefit of a biodiesel fuel is its ability to biodegrade, users must recognize that storage and handling is of prime importance as indicated below:

Ensure the quality of the biodiesel fuel (fuel meets the required specifications).
Keep storage and vehicle tanks as full as possible to prevent moisture from collecting inside.
Ensure all tank caps and covers are installed properly to prevent water from entering.
Monitor water content of the fuel regularly (bonds with water, creating acids).
Protect the storage tanks from extreme temperatures (i.e. direct sun or frost).
Limit the storage to under 3 months due to shelf life (degrades quickly, microbes, oxidation).
Wash down spills with clean water immediately to prevent corrosion and damage to paint.
Fuel filter may need to be replaced more often due to premature plugging.
Check engine oil sump level daily prior to starting; a rising level may indicate lubricating oil dilution. This check is important for all engines and even more critical for engines equipped with rotary FIP.
Instability resulting from blending biodiesel with mineral diesel fuel.
Consult your fuel supplier for additives to improve storage and performance of bio diesel fuels.

Blending biodiesel fuel above a 5% concentration could have some adverse effects to the engine, such as:

Power loss and deterioration of performance
Fuel leakage through seals and hoses
Corrosion of fuel injection equipment
Lubricity of biodiesel and the fuel injection equipment
Coked/blocked injector nozzles, leading to poor atomization of fuel
Filter plugging
Lacquering/seizure of internal injection system components
Sludge and sediments
Reduced service life

John Deere product warranty only covers defects in material and workmanship as manufactured and sold by John Deere. Failures caused by the use of biodiesel fuels or other fuel additives are not defects of workmanship and/or material as supplied by John Deere, and cannot be compensated under John Deere warranty. Users of John Deere emission certified engines are responsible for obtaining the proper local, state, and national exemptions required for the use of biodiesel.

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #3  
Buckie,

While I would think this fuel, as marked, and in itself, would not do damage to your tractor, the big question I have to ask is why? To save what? You have just climbed the tractor ladder in grand fashion; why save pennies on a fuel of "uncertain" quality? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #4  
You know, I think you are exactly right. Had I given it more thought, I probably would not have bought the biodiesel. I am going to offer this fuel to my neighbor, who I know uses it in one of his cars. I definitely do not want to mess up my beautiful Big Girl. thanks! meh

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #5  
Hi Guys time for me to chime in here. I have been looking into this topic myself and here's what I have to offer. I spoke in length with my dealer about Bio-diesel and here's what I found. Deere and Company has no problem with B5 Bio-diesel, as a matter of fact they are starting to use it in all tractors that leave the factory. He also showed me a notice from Yanmar that states that they have no issues with B5 Bio-diesel. I purchase commercially blended Bio-diesel from a reputable marketer. I know that the City of Nashua NH is using B20 Bio in all their city vehicles and that there are also 2 ski resorts here in NH using Bio in their grooming equipment with no problems. I put my first tankfull into my 790 today. My last argument is this. If we buy more Bio diesel we put more farmers back to work and import less oil from the middle east

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #6  
Find back issues of " HomePower" journal. It has had many articles on bio- fuels. Biggest issues seem to be:

Cleaning: Bio diesel will loosen and move any sludge in tank, lines, pumps etc. Most folks who switch find they have to do frequent filter swaps at first.

Incompatibility: Certain types of seals are not compatible with bio-diesel (the methanol) and have caused problems.

Straight vegi oil has been used, but it requires a lot of work. You have to heat the oil to around 180 degrees to make it work. I have not heard of anyone who uses it for tractors, just several who have modified fixed engines and a few that have cars.

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #7  
Biodiesel will work just fine. Deere tests engines with a variety of fuels, and says Biodiesel is fine. I just retired from 26 years there and run it in my JD plus my truck without problems.

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #8  
Was your local Exxon pump labeled 'B5' by any chance?

My local diesel pump sells B5. If the fuel is anything higher than 5% bio (B5), I would be leery from a warranty standpoint. Engine manufacturers typically will not endorse a bio blend over 5% at this point. That being said, I'd run B100 in my vehicles if I could get it cost-effectively.

By the way, CaseIH and Cummins endorse B5. You can read studies which will claim that B5 will provide better lubricity (slipperier) for the fuel injection pump, thus improving pump life.

In a few years I believe that this discussion will be a moot point.

/ BioDiesel in my 3720? #9  
I use BioDiesel in bith my JD 3720 (150hrs) and my 2005 Dodge Cummins. I am buying B99, and blending / mixing with standard #2. I run 5% in the Yanmar, and 20% in the Deere. Biodiesel acts as a lubricant, and is actually better for your engine than standard #2. My engines run smoother, cooler, and more efficiently. If you care to educate yourself, visit www.biodiesel.org. There are many misnomers about Biodiesel. I know a number of large Midwest farmers using a biodiesel blend in their large 100+ hp tractors. Not only is the use of biodiesel good for your engine, but it is good for the environment. Bio is a renuable resource, unlike standard #2. Lets do what we can on a local level to reduce our dependance on mid eastern oil, and at the same time, put a few dollars into the US soybean farmers pocket.