Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110 HST

Default Glow Plugs on my 4110

I notice its a little slow to start when the motor is cold, I don't mean real cold outside eithter. Like today, it was in the 50's and it was slow to start. The manual says I should hear a click. But I don't, so I wonder if they are working. After it is used it starts fine. Is there some temp, that they start working and not when its warmer than that? I thought from the way its worded they always come on, for about 3 seconds, if you don't turn the key to start, am I wrong on this? Thanks my old Yanmar didn't have them, so I really don't know much about them.

Tractor
    JD 4110

Default Re: Glow Plugs on my 4110

If you turn on the ignition, the glow plugs will go on. You should hear a click when they are done. It's not very loud, but I hear it. Then you start the tractor.

If it's starting a little hard or rough when it's cold, you can force the glow plugs to heat longer by putting the HST in low then trying to start the tractor for five or ten seconds (it won't actually start because it's in gear). Then turn off the ignition, shift back to nutral, then start the tractor.

Cliff

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110 HST

I'll give that a try. On the used 4100, that the deal didn't work out, I heard it on it and it started easy. But I'm sure not hearing it on this one. Maybe after it get broke in more, it will start easier. It starts perfect after I run it, and it gets warmed up.

Bronze Member

On a 4100 you just had to hold the key to preheat. On the 4110 you have to put in gear, then hold the key to preheat

Tractor
    JD 4100

On my 4100 tractor there are no glow plugs. I might be wrong but I think none of the small yanmar engine have glow plug.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110 HST

There were glow plugs on the 4100, that I almost bought. And the manual I saw says they have them.

Tractor
    JD 4110

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I might be wrong but I think none of the small yanmar engine have glow plug. )</font>

The 4110 does indeed have glow plugs as do most if not all the JD cuts.

Cliff

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110 HST

Both the 4100 and 4110 manuals say to just turn the switch on, and the glow plugs will heat, and in about 3 seconds you will hear a click, and then start the engine. I don't hear any click, and I even raised the hood and put my head in there to see if I could hear it, and did not. I will try the putting it in gear tomorrow and see if that will help. On the 4100 I did hear the click, but it just isn't doing it on the 4110, although the manual says they work just the same.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

There has been a change: The glow plugs only heat when the key is turned to "crank engine". What that means is that they only get current, and therefore heat when the engine is cranking. I have proved this to myself by using a 12volt test light connected to the little devils. You can too.
    Most dealers don't know this, by the way. Actually, if it is not really cold, it works fine.
    But if it is cold, it doesn't work so good.
    Here is the work-a-round:
    Start the tractor as you usually would, but pull out the PTO button first (this prevents the engine from cranking, but allows the glow plugs to get the juice) and turn key to start, holding it there for 10-20 seconds. After that time, push in the PTO button while still holding the key in the start position, and the engine will crank, and likely start right up.

I have no idea why they made this change, or why they didn't correct the manual. Maybe it was to prevent glowplug overheating by owners who have no sense of what 10-20 seconds is. Any how, their new system is lousy here in Minnesota

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

If I lived in MS, I prolly wouldn't use the glow worms for over 10 seconds. My brother has your tractor (a 2005) and he cannot believe how fast it starts with this system. 10 above, and it starts on the first or second revolution. If he uses the JD manual method, it takes 20 seconds. You should also put the throttle at at least 1/3 as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast