Adjusting Track Width on 4320

/ Adjusting Track Width on 4320 #1  

HappyCPE

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4320
I'm trying to improve stability while I clear some abandoned pasture, and the "pucker factor" is really up there when the tractor wheel falls into a foxhole or some other thing hidden in the brush. Some of my property has 30% slopes and I'm trying to not kill myself here.

My 4320 has 2 position front rims and 8 position rear rims, and R4 tires. I think I need to increase the width to improve stability. I am assuming that the front and rear tracks need to be approximately matching, right? In other words, I couldn't do 61" wide in front and 70+" in back? Wouldn't that mess up the gearing and differential action between front to rear?

Depending on the answer to above, and because the front rims are only 2 position, that might limit the range of widths that can be used in the back. Is there a spacer or some device to use to widen the front? Would Deere sanction this or would I be voiding my warantee?

Finally, is this the wrong idea? Can I put a second set of tires on the tractor like a monster 9000 series instead? Or, is weight the answer? I don't want my tires filled because I'd rather not have a ground-pounder in the pastures and veggie fields, but wheel weights are removeable, so would that work?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

/ Adjusting Track Width on 4320 #2  
I didn't think you could get anything but 2-position rims for the R-4 tires. But should be no reason to not move them to the widest position for the stability you want. The front-wheel drive is just an assist, and as long as the original tires are still on, should not affect any gear ratio's or differentials.

/ Adjusting Track Width on 4320 #3  
According to my 4520 manual, rims with R4s can be mounted in all except the innermost position, so 7 possibilities. And the rims and wheels definitely have all usual mounting options available.

As far as front vs rear goes, the manual only says that if the rear wheels have been set wide, then the front wheels should also be mounted in their wide position, which is what you would want for stability anyway.

Tom.

/ Adjusting Track Width on 4320 #4  
2 wheel of 4 whee drive? My manual (4600) says the same thing, if it is two wheel drive then eiyther of the two positions on front are OK. Then It says that the front tires should NOT be turned out wide for MFWD. I have the rear tires turned out pretty far and loaded. Outside to outside I am at around 80". I could go out to 88, bu that was too wide. I have a 84" BB and the BB and the loaded tires reduces the pucker factor by a significant margin.
Turning the tires are easy, Try out some widths- if you don't like it- takes an hour to change them to something else, or back to original.