4115 Won't "Full Throttle"

/ 4115 Won't "Full Throttle" #1  

trlong

Platinum Member
Tractor
J.D./4115
4115 Won\'t \"Full Throttle\"

Last week, I went out to blow what little snow we've had. After block heating the motor for about 2 hr.'s I started it up (started immediately). Then I warmed it up at about 1500 RPM. I idled back and it idled nice and smooth, no smoking...

When I engaged the front PTO (front end snow blower) and tried to bring it up to PTO rpm (~ 2650 for 540 PTO rpm) the motor max'ed out at 2400, ran a little rough, and blew some white/grey smoke (not normal).

I've never experienced this before. 4115 has 418 hr.s on it at < 2 yrs. It has been a winter of little snow, cold snaps to -10 F, then thaws up to 50 deg., rain, cold again, etc... and the CUT has not seen much work this winter. However, I have warmed the block, started and warmed it up, moved it, etc., to keep it from just sitting for weeks at a time. Fuel is always treated with "Polar Gaurd" and topped off.

The dealership's mechanic said probably the air filter (maybe condensation iced up in it). I had suspected gelling in the fuel bowl.

Fuel bowl emptied and cleaned (no evidence of contaminate, gelling,...) and new fuel filter installed, even though I had changed it late fall and it "looked" fine. Fuel looked clear when bowl re-filled.

Both air filters removed, checked (nearly pristene), brought in by warm air heater to assure they were dried out, then re-installed. New primary air filter on order (dealer was out but expedited order for me...I'll get it this week).

Went to blow snow again yesterday and same condition ...2400-2500 max rpm at full throttle, grey/white smoke, and slightly rough sounding. Actually began to bog down a little in only 6" of snow. I had to slow my forward speed. Oh, and it's not just with PTO engaged. I can't get over 24-2500 rpm with, or without PTO engaged, 4wd or 2wd.

Sorry for the dissertation but I wanted to cover all conditions I could think of. I don't really want to have to pay for transport and shop time if I can fix this myself. If it weren't for the smoke and rough running, I'd think it might be as simple as a throttle adjustment (if that is simple...?).

Any ideas?

Tom

/ 4115 Won't "Full Throttle" #2  
Re: 4115 Won\'t \"Full Throttle\"

Is the throttle handle moving the linkage all the way?? I had my throttle handle come slightly loose and all I was doing was moving the handle and not the linkage. This probably isn't the problem but very simple to check. Put a wrench on the bolt that hold the throttle handle on and see if its tight. Of course this would explain the white smoke??

/ 4115 Won't "Full Throttle"

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't felt any difference in the throw of the trottle. So, I hadn't even checked for loose adjusting nuts. I just checked. All is tight, and idle is normal. Even at 1500 rpm I don't notice any roughness or smoke. It's only when I try to push full throttle. I suppose I could adjust for further throw to see if it would bring up the rpm but, as you say, it would not explain the roughness and white smoke.

Still puzzled /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tom

/ 4115 Won't "Full Throttle" #4  

Sounds like a injection pump, I've had a few on various pieces of equipment do the same thing

/ 4115 Won't "Full Throttle" #5  

My guess is either fuel or injector pump. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Not what I wanted to hear but what ever it is, I have to get it fixed. I'll check my warrantee and head to the dealer this afternoon to see what they can do. Hope the warrantee covers whatever it is /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll post when it's diagnosed and fixed.

Thanks,

Tom

/ 4115 Won't "Full Throttle" #7  

Maybe you will get lucky and the injectors will just need cleaned and adjusted. Some times things work out OK, it just that we look for the worst to happen. Of course maybe that isn't so bad, for if it is the worst, we live with it. If its not the worst, we are then very happy.

Dealer overheard me discussing possible problems with his mechanic. Came over and said "that's still under 2-yr warranty, right". ... "well, since we've got free transport (Spring service deal), lets just get it in here, instead of speculating and fix it under warranty if anything's broke..."

I have a good dealer. Should know the cause by tomorrow or Thurs.

OK. Now "fessing up", or victim of foul play. Either way I feel completely stupid! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Dealer picked up the 4115. I stopped by today to find out what they'd found. Owner/Dealer says "You'd better go back and talk with Tim [mechanic]". Immediately sensing the drift, I said "OK, what did I do wrong". Dealer repeats "You'd better talk to Tim...". Now I'm really worried and sure I did something REALLY stupid.

Out to the shop, Tim's firing up the 4115 and it's running fine, full throttle maxing above PTO rpm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Saw two buckets sitting next to it and....immediately smelled gas...yes GAS, not diesel. One bucket full of diesel, one 1/3 full of GAS. Tim, with a wry grin, says "they run a lot better on diesel than gasoline". Then adds, "..must have been plenty of diesel in it 'cause no damage done...still had plenty of lubrication..."

Too late to make a long story short but, two possible options. I took a RED, rather than a Blue (I know, should be yellow but not avail. locally) fuel can and put gas in the tractor. Or, intentional minor sabotage by dope head neighbor who's made threats before. I immediately checked all fuel cans when I got home and found all full, all with correct fuel in them (not hard to tell by feel and smell).

Can't count out the possibility that I totally screwed up. However, deisel pours through a funnel, with a screen, an awful lot slower than gas, I believe I would have noticed wrong color can, wrong smell, wrong funnel fill speed, or some combination.

So, I'm torn between hoping I'm not a complete idiot and hoping I'm not getting sabotaged. Either way, I am looking for a locking fuel cap and a method for locking hood. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Then, hoping I can build a barn this year.

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Tom

/ 4115 Won't "Full Throttle" #10  

Hey there Tom, if it was your neighbor that put gasoline in your tractor, maybe it's not to late to have the local police dept. come out and check the cap and lid for finger prints. If the neighbor is a dope head then maybe he wouldn't be smart enough to use gloves. I would fear that if you lock the hood and gas cap then maybe he would resort to something else maybe a little less noticeable, that could cause more damage than what has already happened. ie. putting brake fluid in your rear diff. etc. so I'm thinking that you need to catch him and have him put behind bars. My dad had a problem years ago with his gas coming up missing in his gas cans, so he put a bunch of water in one to make it full, funny how my brothers car just quit running for no reason about two days later....hum wonder where dad's gas kept disappearing too. I would just keep an eye on your tractor, maybe use a clean stick to dip into the fuel tank before starting the tractor, seems that you might be able to smell the hint of gasoline on the stick. Then if you do call the police right away and have them come and check for finger prints.....might pay off! Keep your chin up and I hope it all works out for you, having a bad neighbor is a real pain in the A*#. I feel for you.
Larry