4520 with 4n1 - put to work

/ 4520 with 4n1 - put to work #1  

tom30519

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4520, IH B414D (1966), Kubota B1750HST
I've posted a couple of photos of my 4520 with a JD 4-in-1 bucket on the 400CX loader, stacking some of the 100+ trees that have blown down over the last couple of years.

(Photo gallery link)

The 4-in-1 had no difficulty whatsoever grabbing and holding the 14" diameter trunks. I packed 550 lbs. of rock dust into the ballast box, and there was never a hint of lightness in the rear end.

Gotta watch both ends of those 40' logs while swinging around, though! Haven't hit anything yet! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 4520 with 4n1 - put to work #2  
Wow, looks like a tool i could use!

I'm curious how the hydraulics are set up. Does the deere 4n1 bucket come with valving?

I seem to have one set of QD's I'm not using (on a 4120), but they are on the rear of the tractor and control lever is down to the right of the seat and i don't think it would be convienient for a 4n1.

Do you mind me asking what the street price is approximatly on it?

thanks in advance,

JT

/ 4520 with 4n1 - put to work
It IS a great tool! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Apart from stacking the cedar logs you see in the photos, I've been using it to scoop up and grab the branches at the location where we limb the trees before hauling them out of the woods. Once the ground thaws I will use it to pull the blown-over stumps out and trundle 'em over to the burning pile. I have over a hundred of 'em to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The bucket doesn't come with its own valve. When I ordered the tractor I had the dealer install the third function hydraulic lines on the 400CX loader. These connect to those QDs you mentioned at the back, and so the jaws of my bucket are controlled by that extra lever, which works out really well, being next to the joystick.

You could have hoses made up to run from the bucket back to the rear of the tractor, but I wanted the metal tubing kind, and the JD factory-supplied kit is tidy and stays well out of the way. Also, there is an extra pair of QDs where the loader hydraulics connect, so taking the loader off just means disconnecting two extra lines.

You should search for '4n1' or '4in1' or '4-in-1' in these forums; there have been good discussions previously. I did contact WR Long who make a very nice 4in1, I think less expensive, but they don't currently have any dealers in Canada, where I am located. I'm sure there are other good ones, too.

I don't know what they sell for in the US, but I paid $1800 CDN for mine...

Tom.

/ 4520 with 4n1 - put to work #4  
Tom,

Wow! That is a great example of what a "real" tractor can do. I get goosebumps thinking of what that combo could do around my homestead! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 4520 with 4n1 - put to work #5  
Tom,

Just a heads up- I've been putting some hours on my 4120 and JD 4 in 1 and somehow smashed the 90 degree fitting on the 4 in 1 upper hydraulic hose. None in dealer stock, so I had one made at a local Parker Hose shop. They don't stock that OEM ell, and made one up from an ell and a straight adapter.

Good to go, and I'm back in the game until yesterday when the right side has the exact same failure.

What happens is when the 4 way is fully open, if you're rolling an object back and the bucket bounces, the OEM hex fitting will actually hit the back of the bucket and deform, losing its' seal at the swivel. The replacements that I now have aren't as massive, and dont have the clearance problem.

Piss poor design on the part of JD, and I'm out $64.
I figure to write them a letter with some pics when I get the rest of this grease off of my hands.....

Jon

/ 4520 with 4n1 - put to work #6  
I have had the same problem before with my 4 in 1. I have used tie wraps to secure the hose to try and keep it from happening again. There is a local place that makes hydraulic hoses for me while I wait,a lot better hose than John deere would sell me and a lot less expensive.

Jon, Osprey: Thanks for the warning. I'll take a look at mine later today and see if I can work out a way to keep that from happening. I was kinda skeptical of those two right angle fittings right out in the open on the top of the bucket...

Jon, I'd be interested to know how JD responds, if they do. I'll mention it to the service manager at my dealer; he seems to be very receptive to comments like that, and claims to pass them all along to the JD rep when he visits.

Tom.

I mentioned the problem to my dealer, and he drove out to take a look at my bucket. We opened it up and rolled it back, and tried rocking it back and forth with a bar, but we couldn't get the gap between the top cylinder fitting and the back of the bucket to come even close to hitting.

There's a stamped indent about 2" wide and 6" long at the spot where the fitting would impact on my bucket - does yours have that also? I'm wondering if Deere hasn't already solved this problem somehow... or if it might be a tolerance issue.

I'd take a photo, but it is all shades of black in there!

Tom.

/ 4520 with 4n1 - put to work #9  
Hello Osprey,

I don't have any problem with the hoses per se, it's just those %&*@# fittings. The hoses themselves *were* neatly routed and ty-rapped together.

Jon

/ 4520 with 4n1 - put to work #10  
Tom, I don't have any kind of indent on my bucket. It's flat throughout the area in question. My dealer is about 200 miles away (long story). I may take it up with one of the guys local to me, and see what happens.

Hey, it's a FEL not a voilin right? I mean I bought it to work it.

I could have gone with a WR Long bucket instead. I actually prefer their toothed jaw openings and the way they protect the hydraulics, but got way better #'s on the JD. I hope I don't come to regret my decision.

On another note- Back on the 448 and making a hillside spring into a small pond. Got it at about 12-14 feet diameter and 3-4 feet deep, digging through the water. This thing ROCKS! I'll see how the bottom looks tomorrow when the mud settles....Grease, Jon, don't forget to grease......
Finished up the day grabbing brush with my *improved* 4 1n 1 and stacking it to burrn.

So much work, so little time.....

Jon