01 4600

/ 01 4600 #1  

kellytheaker

Tractor
110 TLB
just purchased a 4600 with 2000 hrs , any problems i should be aware of - sold solid little kubota L2250 for this and it is definately more product . The loader is a 400 cx and has a quick tach on the 3 point . So lets discuss the japanese motor in this machine - weak points? i noticed the draw bar area on several machines i viewed had broken trans cases on the right and left areas along the sides of the case - did not look to be enough cast into that last inch of the case - i did notice JD has gone back to its own engine in this series ? thanks for answering the posting. Kelly theaker Toronto Fire and Emerg, Services

/ 01 4600 #2  
I'm not sure what motor they have in it, but you said japanese, so I would guess its probably a Yanmar. They are probably one of the best motors made anywhere. They made the first Diesel motor in I believe about 1933. They are very well built, that is why Deere had used them in most of their small trctors for a lot of years. That is my opinion anyway, as I have had Yanmar engines for a number of years, with no problems. I don't know of any company that has made more motors than they have.

/ 01 4600 #3  
There has never to my knowledge been anything regarding serious common issues on the large frame 4000 Deere's. The Yanmar diesel series used in your 4600 is about as bulletproof as they get - but 2000 hours may be just a teenager or a beater depending on the care and maintenance it's had up to now. Look for threads regarding oem Deere battery-leak corrosions on the front end, it can get pretty bad if left go. What tranny did you get?

/ 01 4600
The tractor has the power reverser- or shuttle shift- ? can you shift in and out of reverse and forward while still moving with this system or are you to stop and shift. Seems like a hydrollic drive of sorts . I did notice a lot of rust under the battery tray area . I will have to get that looked after. I am about to order a tech manual and since it is cheaper on cd that seems the way to go $160 for paper and $54 for cd , hope to never need . I did notice the front diff seals had just been done , must be typical ? Thanks for the education.

/ 01 4600 #5  
As far as the Yanmar engine goes, it's as good an engine as there is.

The front axles on the 4600 would chew up the turf when turning sharp. JD had a fix for that but is was a fix on request thing. Not sure what axle you have or if they would replace it now. I'm guessing they would. It fell under the Product Improvement Program or PIP for short.

The only other things I know of are they change the transmission service intervals and went to a larger hydraulic filter.

/ 01 4600 #6  
From my understanding, the old axle, even though it was hard on the turf, it was a little stronger axle, so probably better. If I had the old one, I don't think I would want to change it, I could live with a little tear up easier. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 01 4600 #7  
I just purchased a 4600 with 412 hours. Use the search feature and change the time frame to all posts and search 4600. Most of the posts for the 4600 are between the year 2000 and 2003. You can also search by the person posting. Check out the posts for Cowboydoc. He has a 4600 that he uses pretty hard. I also checked JD 4600 at tractorhouse.com. There a lot of 4600's that have between 2000 and 4000 hours and still bring good money. The Yanmar engine has a great track record. I considered it a plus in my buying decision. My machine had a right front seal replaced. Looks like something to keep an eye on. I have the power reverse also. Keep posting and we can compare notes.

jcotta

/ 01 4600 #8  
I have had my 4600 for six years now and it's a little workhorse if there ever was one. I'm over 3000 hours and not one repair worth mentioning.

The older axles like on mine were replaced. But the original ones were virtually bulletproof. I have the old one and wouldn't change it. The turf tearing is minimal in my opinion and really is only an issue if you are mowing lawn with it.

/ 01 4600 #9  
I purchased a new JD4700 w/460 loader in 2000. The tractor has been stored inside and kept reasonably clean. I have followed the recommended maintenance schedule. The tractor has been used in a variety of tasks a small suburban farm might experience over any given year. I caught the battery outgassing/leak problem early and replaced the battery.

The tractor and its everyday use is considered essential to our family. I have NEVER had one day the tractor failed to start and perform it's intended task. I consider the $23000+ money well spent. Looking around my home I cannot point to an item I have purchased which has not depreciated most of its value or is not now obsolete. The machine is paid for and has an estimated market value of 15-16000.

I hope you have the same experience with your machine as we have had with ours. I am the definition of a satisfied customer and am actively shopping for a 5025 model.

Good Luck with yours.