Grease

/ Grease #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
What kind of grease are people using on their tractors? Do you use the same kind for all the zerks? FEL, wheel bearings, etc? I need to break the manual out and do some reading. I am wondering how many grease guns I need. I have always used the same grease for everything - is that stupid?

Thanks,
D.

/ Grease #2  
Good question. I use John Deere multi-purpose grease on everything on the John Deere. I also use their filters.

/ Grease #3  
I use the same grease in everything, think it's JD's Urea multipurpose grease. Only other zerks I have to deal with are the 2 on my walk behind mower. Use the same grease in them.

Ralph

/ Grease #4  
My JD dealer recommended the "polyurea" grease for all my applications. His original thought was 2 different kinds, but he changed his tune a little when I told him I only had one battery grease gun & I wasn't buying another one.

As a side note- "polyurea" What the heck is that for a name? To me it says "plasticp**z"

/ Grease #5  
I've been using the JD polyurea synthetic stuff for a few years now for everything on all my equipment. Even stuck it in all the fittings on my F150.
Don't know if it's recommended for wheel bearings or not, tho... Maybe that stringy red stuff would be better? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Grease
My 5525 with the FEL has so many grease zerks, I went thru a whole tube and didn't finish them all. I got close, but man it sure sucked it up. I was hoping I would hear that I could just buy a pile of one kind of grease.

Thanks,
D.

/ Grease #7  
I just use Lithium grease in everything I own. I bought the last from Sam's club, 24 tubes, and it don't cost that much. It will do just as good a job. Fact is, even a cheaper grease would work, if you kept it greased all the time, like one should. In the old days, they used a cheap grease called cup grease, it was a dull orange color, they put it in a cup on a machine and every so often screwed it down a little to put a little more grease in. Never knew anything going bad, as it worked because they kept it greased, that is the main thing right there. Better to over grease than under grease. As long as you don't let it go dry, and by putting more in, you push any dirt out, that may have got into it. Works for me, always has. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Grease #8  
I have a 4310 that I use Schaeffer's grease for all of the zerks. A family friend got me using it. He swears by it. He also uses their engine oils as well as says that they do not break down as fast as well as cuts down on engine noise.

/ Grease #9  
I am looking at page 62 of the manual for my JD TLB 110 and it says:

" The following greases are preferred:

John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease

John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease

If not using any of the preferred greases, be sure to use a general all-purpose grease with an NLGI grade No.2 rating"

There you have it straight from the horse's mouth.

Now if you go to the NLGI website, you can look up the ratings of the Deere grease NLGI certifications

It turns out that both Deere greases have a NLGI No.2 rating and I suspect that the primary difference is cost.

Anyway, shortly after getting my tractor I got an air-powered grease gun from Harbor Freight and a few tubes of their red, premium multipurpose grease. This grease has the NLGI No.2 rating and should keep my warranty in effect.

I doubt that Deere actually manufactures their own grease, they contract it out. I was not impressed with the grease the tractor came with. After 10 hours of operation, the Deere grease had dried out and was not particularly lubricating. Time will tell if the red Sta-Lube grease is any better.

/ Grease #10  
From what I read the polyurea is a little better under extreme conditions, high pressure and water etc. Notice I said a little better. Lithium is also a very good grease in the same ways. Not quite as good, but very close. And face it we aren't running a race machine, at high speed or doing much of anything at high speed or for long times. So we really don't need the highest priced grease. If we keep them greased with the cheapest grease we will never be able to wear them out. But you can't blame JD for trying to make more money. Did you read what the guy said, about how much money you have to have to start a dealership? So they need to make money, its the name of the game. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif