Default Question for 4520 owners

I think I'm very close to buying a 4520, but have a question about the exhaust. It shoots out on the left front and seems very noisy to me. Also seems to me it would cover a lot of the front of the tractor and loader with soot. My question is do any of you have the vertical exhaust extention? It's a $166 option and am wondering if it helps much. If any of you have it and have a picture that shows it good, I'd sure like to have a look at it. I don't find a picture on the JD site. I'm trying to visualize how it would keep from shaking off sticking way up there and also if it interfere's with anything such as opening the hood.

Bronze Member
    Mid Mich
    2005 John Deere 4320

Default Re: Question for 4520 owners

My 4320 has one small black spot on the lower arm of the loader which rubs off clean with one swipe. It seems to me that the stack would interfere with overhead branches and such, as I have a lot here, unless you were running with the new cabs? Why bring the noise up to you, unless it is further suppressed from the longer pipe? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] </font><font color="blue" class="small">( )</font> 4320 w/cx400/hdbucket, rb1184, lx6, 6' land pride finish mower

Silver Member
    Southeast Quebec
    JD 4520, IH B414D (1966), Kubota B1750HST

Default Re: Question for 4520 owners

I would think that a vertical exhaust would be even louder, when measured from the operator's position, although Deere may install a completely different muffler in that case. I've never seen a Twenty series with one.

I have two other tractors with vertical exhaust stacks. Falling off from vibration is not the problem; being bent and knocked off by low-hanging branches is! No matter that I've been using tractors around my orchard and woodlot for 40 years, those branches still manage to sneak up on me! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I haven't had my 4520 for very long, but soot deposits on the loader doesn't figure on my list of potential concerns... the soot will just get washed off from time to time along with all the mud and crud that make up the natural habitat of my tractors.

What you choose should depend on where and how you intend to use it, of course, as with any other tool. I believe that vertical exhausts are intended for situations where sparks and hot gasses might ignite dry straw or other combustible stuff, which is not a concern on my land.