Grading Box Blade for 2210

/ Box Blade for 2210 #1  

jim2210

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
I'm about to buy a box blade for my JD2210 to level out approx. 2 acres of field. Nothing real drastic, mostly rolling and some high points (no more than about a foot or so). I've searched and read all I could but I'm still confused about the size and brand that would be most benificial on this unit.

Has anyone used the KK 48" XB or similar BB designed for limited cat 1 setups? Are these worth it or should I go with a full size BB in the 400lb.+ range?

/ Box Blade for 2210 #2  
I have a 4', similar model as you describe and it works very well.

/ Box Blade for 2210 #3  
If you can get by with the limited ground clearance (possible trailering problem) I would go with the regular size box blade.. You will probably want the extra weight..

/ Box Blade for 2210
thatguy,
That's what I was thinking. Not only could I benefit from the additional steel for strength, but also as ballast for the FEL. My field is mostly flat so clearance is not a major issue.

johndeere 2210,
which type/brand do you have and do you have to add extra weight? The KKXB is just under 300 lbs., where as the full size is about the same weight (?). I could be wrong but the XB, being smaller in size for about the same weight, must be sturdier than the full size.

Thanks for the replies...

/ Box Blade for 2210 #5  
If it helps you any, I used a KK 4 ft box blade behind a John Deere 445. That's quite a bit smaller than your 2210. With bar tread tires the 445 would drag a box full of gravel. (diff lock is a good thing). I don't think you will have any trouble with a 4 ft blade with the 2210.

/ Box Blade for 2210 #6  
<font color="green">Go full size. The XB model's box is not as tall and won't hold as much gravel or dirt as a full size model.

I have a Midwest 48 inch box blade and my JD 2210 handles it fine. The extra weight is good when using the box blade as ballast for a FEL.

I can easily hang four of my ballast weights off the front of my tractor as extra ballast in the rear on my Midwest box blade. The weights have to come off the front anyway when I attach the FEL. The box blade gives me a place to store them and get some added ballast weight.

Mike </font>

/ Box Blade for 2210 #7  
jim2210,

If you look at the picture below, I just put suite case weights as needed on the bars going from the back towards the front. This setup gives me flexibility to add or take off weight easy and quickly for FEL work. The box blade was purchased from Rural King for ~$250, with $250 of green paint, just kidding.

boxblade1a.JPG

/ Box Blade for 2210
Thanks to all for the info ...

I'll probably end up going with the full size. My concerns were mostly if the tractor could pull the box when full. I was looking at a KK from TSC, but a local dealer by me sells others (bush hog, kioti, woods) which seem very well made. They are almost double the price in some cases, however it may be better to bite the bullet and go with a heavier one. I heard of the lighter boxes bending in places when the tractor hits a rock or something.
I originally was going to hire an excavator to level the field, but then my wife asked me "why the heck did you buy that tractor, anyway?". I certainly don't mind the seat time and after seeing the estimate for an excavator, showing the wife the price of a box blade is chump change (heh, heh).
I'll try to post pics of my decision and steps of the project as it unfolds ...

Thanks again

/ Box Blade for 2210 #9  
johndeere_2210

I noticed in your picture you have installed a toolbox. Could you give the details of the installation? How's it secure, dimensions, etc

Thanks