Skid Steer attachment question.

/ Skid Steer attachment question. #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
Is the skid steer option for the 300CX loader just an adapter that fits on the regular JD quick change or is it different castings or weldments completely? Either way does is add or subtract weight from the normal setup?

/ Skid Steer attachment question. #2  
The skid steer attachment plate does not utilize the JD quick hitch/pin setup. It actually replaces part of the linkage on the 300CX. Your bucket would have to be modified to a skid steer quick hitch style plate to continue to use it. Ati Corp has one that attaches to the quick attach pins. This is the way I am going to go. The only minus is it moves the plate out 2" from where it normally is so some lift capacity will be sacrificed (minimal, I believe.)

/ Skid Steer attachment question. #3  
Do you know how much that ATI adapter is?
I called a company called Quick Attach to ask about their JD to skid steer adapter (see bottom left pic). I was told is was ~$1,000 before shipping.
That seems very expensive to me.

/ Skid Steer attachment question. #4  
The ATI is about 700. I have it and can wholeheartedly recommend it. One annoying problem is that they will not sell direct. You have to buy it through a dealer, and their dealer network is marginal at best. I had my JD dealer buy it over the phone with their credit card, then I turned around and paid them with my credit card. I thought it was nuts and I tried to explain the 21st century to the guy on the phone with ATI, but they think they are going to build their dealer network this way. I try to support local merchants (real local merchants) whenever possible, but when a company has no representation in an area, it seems to me a direct sale makes more sense then they merry-go-round I went through.

/ Skid Steer attachment question. #5  
Forgot something...

The extra two inches forward and the extra weight do have an effect, but it is minimal. If you are tuned to your tractor, you'll feel it. Throw a little more ballast on the back and accept that you're giving up a couple hundred pounds of lift for the versatility of using lots of attachments.

Using both gave me an appreciation for the design of the JD system. I think it may be on its way out, but I find it much easier to lock, unlock and pick up.

/ Skid Steer attachment question. #6  
Jeff,
can you clarify which system you think is easier?

the Jd quick attach,
or the skid steer quick tatch?

/ Skid Steer attachment question. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jeff,
can you clarify which system you think is easier?

the Jd quick attach,
or the skid steer quick tatch?

)</font>

Sorry that wasn't clear. I think the JD quick attach is much easier. Some have criticized the play in the design, which allows a little bit of rattle and slap in the bucket when nothing is in it. But, the two tapered top attachment points are easier for me to line up than the full width wedge of the skid steer system. Also, the wedge locks on the skid steer system are harder to reach and to latch than just dropping the pin in the bottom studs of the JD mount. I bought the ATI adapter because I used to have a Bobcat and had quite a few attachments for it. Starting from scratch, I would have bought my pallet forks and grapple with JD mounts to begin with, instead of going to the skid steer mount.