Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere LX280 John Deere 790 4wd with 300 loader

Default 300 loader lift capacity

Installed my 300 loader saturday on my 790 wasnt to bad. My question is there away to increase the lift capacity of the loader. Increasing hydraulic pressure etc... if its possible. Just wondering it does ok for the size tractor but it seems like it needs a little more pressure.

Tractor
    Deere 4310 HST MFWD

Default Re: 300 loader lift capacity

Both the 790 and NH TC30 have been the subject of hydraulics shimming. Search shim 790 and you should find a lot of info...

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

The attached file (a .pdf, so you'll need Adobe Reader) shows you how the job is done.

One pack of shimms is sufficient. Be careful when you unscrew the cap on the valve...there are a couple O-Rings easility dropped. I suggest you do this job on a concreter surface that has been swept clean before you start (in case you drop a shim or O-Ring).

This did help my 790 (with a 419 loader) but don't expect too too much. Don't go overboard on those shims (remember...one pack) either. You could blow the valve or another component of the system.

Another thing to remember is the 790 is pretty light. You want to be able to lift safely and sensibly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere LX280 John Deere 790 4wd with 300 loader

Where can I purchase the right shims? It looks like there is a spring in there as well is it under pressure? How much of a difference in lift capacity and force can a person expect from this modifcation? I appreciate all the help.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where can I purchase the right shims? It looks like there is a spring in there as well is it under pressure? How much of a difference in lift capacity and force can a person expect from this modifcation? I appreciate all the help. )</font>

Get the shims from your Deere dealer. I think the PN is AM875169 which is item 8 in the attached picture.

As far as the increase in lifting power...I have no way to quantify that, but my estimate would be 15% to 20%.

BTW, this is a modification that could do damage if the loader is used with excessive zeal. it could also void your warranty, so give this some thought before you decide about this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    2003 JD990

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a handy dandy picture and parts list for doing that to a 990?