4120 to the rescue!

/ 4120 to the rescue! #1  

tillboy2001

Gold Member
My in-laws had some rental property with a 14'x65' mobile home and they wanted to get rid the the trailer and just keep the land. Well, the trailer sold and we kept having trouble getting the buyer to move it out because of bad weather...mainly the damp ground. It had to be firm enough to move the trailer off the concrete pad and into the grass...working it back and forth until it was on the road. They came today to get the trailer. It was damp - ground moist. I knew it was a mistake to try it today. Well, I was still at work and got a call that the trailer movers got their rig stuck in the yard. They finally managed to get that free, but it was NOT going to move the trailer. I finally got home and they were about to leave. I fired up the 4120 (400X loader on front and 440 lbs of weight on each rear wheel with R4 tires). I went over to check out the situation. The ground was indeed damp and I was worried. First of all, I was worried about the SIZE of the trailer. 14' wide and 65' long. There wasn't much room to pull the trailer straight out, so it had to be completely turned around and then pulled out to the road. I tried to lift the trailer at the hitch of the trailer with the 3 point hitch on the tractor. That was a big NO GO. We decided just for the heck of it to hook it up to the draw hitch bar. They jacked the trailer up and let it down on the ball attached to the draw bar. All seemed well. I put 'er in A range, 1st gear and started backing up the trailer (on the pad). Ok...this doesn't seem so bad. Back and forth I go, all over the place getting the trailer moved around...now I'm in the damp grass and the trailer wheels are sinking in about 4 inches. NO problem. I still had plenty of traction...I mean PLENTY...steering was good...everything. 1st gear running at 2,000 RPM working the clutch to make it smooth. After about 30 minutes the trailer was turned around and on the road!

I couldn't believe how well it went. I thought for sure the tractor wouldn't be able to push and pull that trailer in the damp ground...but it did. No grunting or struggling...smooth as can be. I just can't believe it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I wish I had pictures. It started raining and spitting snow just as we finished....just in time!

/ 4120 to the rescue! #2  
WOW! What a great story. Sure wish you could have gotten some pics. These machines sure are impressive. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 4120 to the rescue!
I went back over and at least got a photo of where it was...

/ 4120 to the rescue!
And we hooked it up here to the ball...

/ 4120 to the rescue! #5  
That is an amazing and beautiful tractor that you have. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 4120 to the rescue! #6  
Very impressive!.... nice pics of your tractor as well.

/ 4120 to the rescue!
Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif This is my favorite photo of it. Great machine!

60898462-L.jpg

/ 4120 to the rescue! #8  
A great and successful story - but I wonder why you couldn't budge the trailer hitch with the 3-point. Your 4120 can lift something like 3500 lbs at the ends of the arms (2500 24" out) - and I'm assuming you had some version of a hitch bar between the arms? Yet your drawbar hitch is only rated for a vertical load of 1100 lbs (in the retracted position) and it held the load. I wonder what the tongue load of that trailer really was?

All's well that end's well. Good looking tractor.

/ 4120 to the rescue!
I'm not sure what the tongue weight ended up being...but whatever it was it was too heavy for the 3 point hitch to lift. I had a bar between the arms. I tried to lift it and it did come up a little, but not far enough to hold the weight of the trailer. I was a little worried about the weight on the draw bar, but it didn't bend it or cause any other visible damage. Not something I'd like to make a habit of doing though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif