/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring #1  

hpc

Bronze Member
Tractor
'06 3520, '09 997 ZTR
HI, All,

Am looking for a fuel filter wrench which fits the
filter locking ring. I've seen them a while ago, but
forget what they called and hence, can't find them.

My dealer (salesman) seems dumbfounded. I'm looking
for one to fit my 3520 which arrives this week - barring
hades freezing over.

Any clues where to buy and what to ask for?

THANKS,

Lon

/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring #2  
I use a large pair of channel lock pliers.

/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring #3  
I used a large pair of channel locks, too. HOWEVER, I couldn't get to it behind the FEL tower; so, I removed the fuel bowl assembly by removing the 12 mm bolt that holds it in place on the frame member. Then I could rotate the assembly, which is connected via flexible fuel lines, up to get the channel locks onto the ring. On retightening, I just used finger tight. Japanese or Georgian gorillas put it on at the factory though.

Bet yours is the same way. If you don't have an FEL, it may be easy to get to without dismounting the assembly.

Ralph

/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring #4  
I used a flat bladed screwdriver and a small hammer to tap the ring loose. I could not get a pair of channel locks into the space to loosen the filter ring (or a small oil filter wrench, either). After changing the filter, I hand tightened the ring. That was last fall and it hasn't leaked a drop.

/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring #5  
Lon,

Far be it from me to critisize the "get a bigger hammer" approach (I've used it many time). However, the fuel filter bowl and locking ring are not something you really want to beat on. Save yourself, and your tractor, pain and suffering and just stop by Sears or such tool outlet and find yourself an adjustable "strap wrench" (i.e. a handle with a very solid rubber strap that can be adjusted to the round object you are trying to unscrew. I tend to put a large screwdriver (large as in 18" long with big flat blade) between the fuel filter housing and the block to prevent undue torque on the assembly. Then slide the strap wrench up and over the bowl and onto the lock ring.

Just make sure you have the orientation of the wrench for clockwise rotation (looking down from above the locking ring...i.e. counter clockwise rotation to unscrew it if you were on your back looking up at it), keep the strap tight and ease the ring off.

A pair (large and small) strap wrenches, Sear rubber strap style, are pretty inexpensive. I have to have atleast five different oil filter wrenches, 3 sets of channel locks of increasing size, a big nasty pipe wrench, etc... When I did the first service on my 4115 I realized that the gentlest tool on that locking ring (and the only one that would allow me to get at it easily, was an inexpensive Sears strap wrench.

This is JUST and example... not an endorsement for Sears.

Strap Wrenches

Good luck,

Tom

BTW: Larger one also worked on the oil filter just fine.

/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring
Hi, All,

Thanks for the info.

I, too, am guilty of using the screwdriver and hammer and channellocks
on the beast.

However, my older son, who is smart, but somewhat mechanically challenged,
will be the one doing the filter changes. Since, I'm in CA and the
tractor is in IN at the house, I DO NOT want to get the proverbial
phone call that goes something like "OOPS!' or 'how much is a new....'.

I have seen wrenches that fit the locking ring, but am having senior
moments trying to recall their name - hence, finding them is difficult
when you don't know what they're called.

Will continue to 'google' about...hopefully, with some luck.

Cheers,

Lon

/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring #8  
I agree with TRIONG. Tried a channel lock and had the same problem of previous posters--not enough room for the channel locks--and finally realized I had a small strap wrench in the box. Worked great.

/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring #9  
Small hook spanner wrench might work 31WWNhkYovL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

/ Fuel filter wrench for filter locking ring #10  
Harbor Freight's Oil Filter Pliers!

Searching HF on 'Filter Pliers' returns three styles (and a fourth listing - angle grinder cutoff blades!!!). This red-handled one adjusts 2" to 4.25". I'm not sure the other ones go that small.

I have this style and use it each time. It fits back in behind the loader pedestal better than anything else I've tried.

36778_I.jpg

Last edited: